Chapter 21 - The Escape Plan

Arabella's POV

I didn't understand how he could act like this. Was this his way of rejecting me as a mate?

I feel pathetic for feeling this way, this wasn't what I imagined love to feel like. I never expected finding my mate to be this miserable. 

My wolf whimpered inside me, she has refused to talk for days. I am not sure how long I can go on for before i break. I have not seen my family for months, neither have I heard any news from them. I hope Faye is doing well with her mate, Nathaniel had promised me that he would keep them safe. 

Nathaniel hasn't been the same after that day. Our conversations are cold and adrupt, we sleep on far ends of the same bed. I couldn't keep waiting on him, I had to leave and find my family. At least I would have them, things could go back to the way they were.

I had already been plotting my escape. The castle is designed to be impenetrable from the outside, but from the inside there are many ways to get out. During my walks with Benjamin, I noticed that there are less guards at the south wing of the palace. That is where all the servants stay, I could disguise myself as one of them. The south entrance leads away from the town and into the forest, which was ideal. Now I just needed to find the right opportunity to leave, the timing was everything.

I didn't know exactly how far out Black Crescent and the pack house is from here. I could only estimate about a 3 day journey, from the last time I saw my father's map of the Kingdom. I vaguely remembered seeing the location of the castle East of home. 

My hands were tingling in anticipation and excitement, the more i planned, the more determined I was to get home. I needed to see all the familiar faces of my friends and family, to be in the warmth of their love and away from this icy castle. 

"Knock knock" Benjamin poked his head around the door of the bedroom, grinning a child on christmas morning.

"Hey you," I said with a smile. "You ready?"

"Always am." He replied confidently.

"Give me a minute," I grabbed a pair of comfortable boots, slipping them on. Benjamin was taking me horse riding today. I had learnt to ride a horse as a child, but it's been a long time since i've been on one. 

We walked towards the palace stables, keeping a light conversation. Benjamin told me about his plans to visit Germany soon, he was supposed to attend a meeting as a diplomat. But he seemed more excited about visiting its museums.

I would be sad to leave Benjamin behind. He has been a very dear friend who I have come to love very much. I looked at him, he was practically glowing under the sunlight. His golden hair seemed to reflect a halo. He really did seem like an angel in this castle. He is one of the only people, or perhaps the only vampire who has shown me such kindness unconditionally. I didn't know if I could trust him with my plans to leave the castle just yet. I wondered if he even knew I was a werewolf since most of the other vampires in the castle could not tell.

After a fifteen minute walk, we reached the stables. Benjamin guided me through it, allowing me to have a pick from the range of magnificent creatures. A black beauty caught my eye, she was fully black apart from a little patch of white on the centre of her head. She was average sized, but comparing to the other horses she was one of the smallest. Benjamin had his own horse, which was named Zeus. 

We rode fast for about an hour, out of the castle grounds. I hoped that we would ride through the woods, but we went another direction instead. Still, I tried to remember as much as I could take in, it might help me when I plan to escape anyway. It felt good to be able to go out of the castle, for a second, it felt like I was free again.