Chapter 17 - The Truth Stings

Arabella's POV

Waking up beside the person you love has to be added to one of the best feelings in the world. I lay in his arms for a couple more minutes, pretending to be asleep, just so i could stay in paradise a little longer. But soon, the dreadful knock came.

It had been like this for days, early in the morning one of his servants or Xavier would knock. There would be an exchange of whispers and worried glances. Nathaniel would apologise and take off to attend to his work. Late at night he would return to me, exhausted. Still, I was thankful for the fraction of time he would spend with me. Just before we drifted into sleep, he would tell me how much he loved me. I would spend the entire day looking forward to the night.

But this morning, the knock was different. It was harder, louder, more urgent.

Nathaniel jumped awake, rushing to the door. Xavier steps in, bowing his head at Nathaniel before he unleashes a string of harsh whispers. Nathaniel does not bother to look back at me, they rush out of the room.

I frowned in frustration, I hated not knowing what was worrying him. Everytime I asked him about it, he would shake his head and change the subject. 

I got up and headed for the shower before getting dressed. I was supposed to meet Benjamin for breakfast today morning, it had become an agreement of sorts to meet him for breakfast at least once a week. He was a friend that helped me pass the otherwise boring time in the castle. He was also my only friend, the other vampires in the castle paid little attention to me. I guess I was still Nathaniel's secret, "Maybe he's ashamed of me" I thought bitterly.

I got to the cafeteria early, and sat near to the windows where we usually sat. The cafeteria was emptier this morning, but I shrugged it off thinking it could be because I was too early. The minutes went past and still Benjamin had not turned up, it was surprising considering the fact that he was usually on time.

I sipped on my coffee and stretched my legs out, feeling the tension in the recently unused muscles. Since being in this castle I havent had the opporunity to train like I used to, I could run a little in the space given, but not as far as I was able to before. 

Thirty minutes had gone by and I was starting to wonder if he was going to show up when I spotted a famillar blonde head. To my disappointment, it was not the blonde I was looking for. In fact, it was the last person I wanted to see.

Vanessa.

She was staring straight at me when I looked at her, with her eyebrows raised and a little smirk on her face. She started walking over to me and I subconsciously straightened myself up on the chair.

She pulled out the chair opposite me and sat down.

"I've been looking for you," She says.

"Why?" I ask suspiciously.

"Because I have something to tell you," She replies with a sickeningly sweet smile. "I know what you are."

My eyes widen slightly, but I try to act as calm as I can. She knows I'm a werewolf? How? She will tell everyone, it wouldn't be good. Not when I'm in  a castle full of werewolf hating vampires. 

"What do you mean?" I ask coolly.

"You're Nathaniel's whore." She says childishly.

I laugh, mostly out of relief. 

Her face contorts in anger, "Why are you laughing? You stupid bitch-"

"Cut it out Vanessa" a voice interrupts. It's Benjamin, the usual smile on his face is gone and a serious look replaces it. He looks tired, like Nathaniel which makes me frown.