Chapter 27 - Safe House

I don't know how long we ran for, but in the horizon, I could see the first signs of daylight starting to show. The dawn was light and cool, the forest was silent other than the slight panting of our breaths as we ran side by side. I had shifted into my wolf form so that it'd be easier for me to run, holding my bag using my teeth. But that made it unable for me and Benjamin to communicate. But I was secretly thankful for that, I enjoyed the silence as we journeyed.

I started to slow my pace, my hind legs were aching for me to stop. I had not run this far for too long, and my stamina could not last me much longer. Benjamin took notice of this and signalled for us to take a break. I nodded thankfully, bringing myself to a halt. Then, walking behind a tree, I shifted back into my human form.

I opened my backpack and put on a shirt, the light material clinging tightly to my body. Then I wore a pair of sweat pants and running shoes I had found in the closet. Taking out a water bottle, I took a big chug of it and relished the liquid in my mouth. I walked over to Benjamin, and with an outstretched hand, offered him some.

He smiled and shook his head, and I remembered vampires only needed blood to survive.

I nodded, taking another gulp of the water before putting the cap back on and stuffing it back into my bag pack. Then I took a seat on the log next to where Benjamin was sitting.

"Are you tired?" He asked me, his face filled with concern. "I'm sorry, we should have stopped to rest before."

I shook my head, "No I'm alright," I lied. "I want to reach the safe house as soon as possible."

"It's not far from here, probably about 10 to 15 miles." He turned to me and smiled. "You'd like it there. I'm sure."

I returned the smile, "No one else knows about this place?"

"No, I own it. Along with several other properties. But this one no one knows about. I come here sometimes, every few years, when I want to get away from all the politics in the castle. It's a safe haven." He said, placing his hand on on top of mine in an assuring manner.

I nodded. "Did you like it?" I asked.

"Like what?"

"Being in that castle."

There was silence as I felt Benjamin's gaze upon me. "Is that a trick question?" He asked, sounding amused.

I laughed, giving him a slight nudge by bumping into his shoulder. "No, it's a genuine question."

"Well, it has it's goods and bads. Who doesn't like being treated like royalty? But it can all get suffocating, and rather pointless after some time." He answered honestly, stretching out his long legs lazily.

"Why pointless?" I asked curiously.

He let out a light hearted chuckle. "It's quite ironic really. Humans say time is the most precious commodity. Yet us vampires, who have all the time in the world, and nothing to spend it on. I think that's why vampire politics exist, to spice up our rather boring lives."