nineteen

after what seemed like hours, alex and clay still hadn't found their way back and their phones still weren't working. the two were getting tired as well, steps slowly becoming drowsy and eyes fighting to stay open.

"oh my god," alex groaned, dragging out the last word.

clay looked over, a flash of concern in his eyes. "what? what's wrong?"

the smaller sighed, "nothing, honestly. i just want go get back."

"i know, i do too," clay agreed while subconciously chewing on his lower lip, ivory teeth catching on the piercing.

he then heard the sound of twigs cracking and leaves crushing. at first, he hoped it was any of their friends, but the steps seemed to heavy and laid back.

alex crept closer to clay and the blond kept him behind his back. clay hadn't noticed this natural instinct before. but as he found his newfound friends, he realized how protective he gets over them.

clay gasped, "alex look!"

he pointed at the trees and in between the thin and thick trunks, he could make out a few stags and doe.

"deer herd," alex muttered. "how fun."

"c'mon, let's keep going," clay said, walking away quickly with alex close at his side.

when it seemed like another hour, clay could hear rapid footsteps and light talking. alex noticed too, perking up and listening carefully.

clay tried listening carefully as well, straining his ears to catch a glimpse of their conversation, but he didn't need to.

"clay! alex!" a voice called. karl.

alex smiled. "guys!"

"alex?"

more running of footsteps, coming in their direction, and a few seconds after, punz burst through the trees, followed by nick and george, and then karl. his friends' eyes widened and before he knew it, he was wrapping in arms.

"oh my god, clay, alex!" nick hugged him tightly, followed by punz, followed by george.

"where the hell did you guys go?" george asked, almost desperately. his voice was painted with worry.

"we got lost... i went to just walk around and i found alex," clay said and when taking a second look at all their expressions, he added, "sorry."

"how long has it been?" alex asked.

"hours since we started looking for you. the sun is rising you dickheads! we even had time to bring your stuff back to your houses because we hoped you guys would be there, but you weren't," george said.

"we're sorry, okay?" clay apologized again.

"c'mon, let's all head back, 'kay?" punz suggested, trying to calm the clear tension.

"okay... but how?" alex asked.

"we know our way back," nick said, already walking away.

the rest of them followed.

during their trek back to the streets, clay's protectiveness and warriness really showed. whenever they heard something suspicious, clay would be the one to absently step up to the front and keep the others behind.

especially alex and george.

at one point, three doe had jumped out of the greenery, leaping in front of their path, but continuing their way. they had all looked at the animals in slight awe, just because they've never seen something like that so up close.

in like twenty minutes, they made it out of the forest, another twenty, to the bridge, and sooner or later, they were in their recognizable neighborhood.