bonus chapter

patches

i jumped in surprise when i heard the front door click open. mom and dad walked in, but i noticed that they didn't seem like their happy selves, always smiling and greeting me with kisses.

today, they instead walked in and almost collapsed into the kitchen.

i meowed curiously and trotted over, hoping for a gentle hand to run along by back, but none came

when i looked up at mom's face, i sat down with shock.

tears streamed down her face, and there was no intention of stopping. when dad walked over, tears streamed down his face as he hugged mom.

confused, and ran my flank along their arms, meowing in hope for any comfort. mom's body was shaking from the sobs, and i could hear the muffled words he told her.

i then noticed, my friends—siblings—weren't here. ally and clay.

confused, i hopped off the counter and walked up to the door, staring up and sitting still, waiting for it to swing open and for my friends to scoop me up with excited greetings.

but, nothing came.

nobody came through the door.

i was confused.

they've been gone for awhile now.

i missed them.

i heard footsteps behind me and i turned around to see mom bending down. she said something along the lines of 'oh patches, i'm so sorry', but i wasn't sure, i couldn't understand them.

mom scooped me up and pressed her cheek against mine, sobbing again.

i purred reassuringly, rubbing my soft fur against her soaked skin.

when she let me down, i trotted up the stairs. perhaps ally and clay were in their rooms. maybe they have some hidden treats for me.

i first walked into ally's room, but i could barely even smell her scent, as if she's been gone for a couple of months now.

i hopped onto her bed and meowed softly, nuzzling my head against her pillow. her scent was barely there.

even more confused, i walked out and into clay's room, finding that his scent was also disappearing.

where were they?

they couldn't have abandoned me, right?

they've been with me ever since i was a kitten.

suddenly having a sunken feeling in my chest, i jumped onto clay's bed and curled into his blanket, trying to remember this faint scent.

maybe they're on a trip. mom and dad go on a lot.

i'll see them again, i know i will.