fourty - one

"guys, the carnival is only open for like thirty more minutes," nick said. "i think we should all be heading home now."

they were all sitting beneath a tree with a perfect view of the moon, alone in the sea of black.

clay hummed, arms tightened around the boy sitting in his lap, back pressed tightly to his chest. "i think we're gonna stay here for a bit."

"alright, we'll see you guys later!" nick finished, standing up with the rest of their friend group and grabbing their skateboards before taking off.

in the comfortable silence, clay decided to speak up, "you should wear this more often, you look cute."

george tilted his head up and clay lazily kissed the boy's forehead. george asked, "really?"

"of course," clay said. "why would i lie about that, sweetheart?"

george smiled and snuggled further into clay's warmth.

it was silent again, until minutes later clay checked his phone and noticed the time. midnight.

he sighed, "george, we should really get going."

the brunet in his arms echoed his sigh, "yeah, i'm tired. but, i wanna head to the gas station first. see you tomorrow maybe?"

clay frowned. "it's late."

"i've done it before."

''i know but..."

"i've done it before, i'll be okay.''

"i--fine, but please be careful, love. oh! and text me when you get home, then, please."

george stood up, bending down to kiss clay as he too stood up. "of course."

they said their quick goodbyes and headed different directions.

when clay got home--twenty minutes later--george hadn't said anything yet. he tried to convince himself that george was still there and wanted alone time, but something in his mind kept ticking.

thirty minutes passed.

he paced back and forth in his living room. his parents were asleep.

thirty - five minutes.

he frowned and kept glancing at his phone, no notifications except from other people, but not his george.

fourty minutes.

fuck it.

he cursed himself, saying he decided too late.

clay quickly hurried back out the front door, stepping onto his skateboard and rushing to the gas station without a second thought. he pulled out his phone.

clay
love where are you?
1:06am
are you still at the gas station?
1:06am

he waited a few minutes, no answer.

clay
this isnt funny, srsly, where are you?
1:09am
george!
1:09am
where the fuck are you? plz
answer your phone
1:09am
i just wanna make sure ur ok
love
1:10am

still, nothing. he was about a minute away from the gas station.

clay
GEORGE
1:16am
plz where are you, are you safe?
1:16am
did something happen?
1:16am

he made it to the gas station and he jumped off his skateboard, ignoring how it slammed into the sidewalk.

the lights were off inside. was the gas station closed tonight? where was george then?