thirty

the only noise was the sound of wheels rolling rapidly over rough ground. he drowned out everything else, determined to get to the bridge first.

this reminded him of back then when he and george were enemies. late night rides around the neighborhood, down the same gas station, the same park. it reminded him of where their only conversations were short and flat-out nasty.

casting a look over his shoulder, he saw that george and alex were right behind him. george's mouth was taut and focused while alex's eyes were wild--a bit scary--and his mouth was twisted into a grin.

the others weren't that far behind either. in fact, all of them were pretty close.

when clay turned his head back around, he could just scarcely see the bridge. he smirked and pushed against the ground, speeding up pace. he swerved a bit to the side and up a ramp of cement.

the skateboard landed smoothly onto the ground once again. but nick leaned sideways in his skateboard and almost slammed into clay.

clay gasped loudly, veering away. it earned a laugh from the boys around him and he rolled his eyes and did the same to nick, earning the same reaction and more laughter.

the bridge was close. he narrowed his eyes as he focused and tried his best to speed up even more.

with one final push, he managed to keep the lead the entire time as he made it to the bridge first, slowing down his pace and hopping off.

he grinned widely as the others made it mere seconds after him. they all hopped off and scowled, but the playful gleam in their eyes never left.

"you asshole," punz said and walking up to clay to ruffle his hair. "you could've told us that we were gonna race!"

clay smiled and leaned back against the railing of the bridge. "i could've, but i didn't."

karl laughed as george rolled his eyes. "whatever."

alex hummed, changing the subject. "y'all wanna split up now? i'm gonna head home and sleep 'cause that hospital was honestly terrifying as fuck."

clay's smile grew. "pussy. but sure. i'll see you guys in a while?"

they all agreed and split off. now, it was george and clay walking side by side with their skateboards in hand--their other hands being entertwined.

"you wanna come over to mine for a bit?'' george piped up, doe eyes meeting clay's.

clay hummed and nodded eagerly.

george giggled at clay's eagerness. "movies? i have ice cream too."

clay bent his head down to kiss george's soft hair. "sure! why not?"

"horror?"

"abso-fucking-lutely not. i've had enough."

"i'm kidding! i've had enough as well."