Chapter 4 - Darkest Hour

Late that night Emily sat in the living room by the fireplace. The light of the fire was the only light in the room; it reminded Emily of the night she met Mr. Lordi when all the lights were out and she fainted in his arms and woke up on the living room floor the next morning. She knew it was late but she was not tired enough to change and go to sleep, she had told herself that she would wait until Mr. Lordi came to see her that night to inform her of what they were going to do to save her world.

Emily felt like she had been waiting for a long time. For three hours she sat alone in the dark thinking about the number of people who were captured today and two of Mr. Lordi's allies with them. Also her thoughts were on Awa's words. Awa seemed to have quite the knowledge about the power of love. Is there something Mr. Lordi and I need to do in order to succeed? Emily thought as she gazed at the flames blazing beside her. There was no question that she wanted to find out more. The only thing remaining was would she survive all of this even in the darkest hour? Deep inside Emily did not feel she had some confidence; she had fought demons before but after the encounter today she began to believe she was not strong enough. Emily gazed silently at the fire and a single tear fell,

"I'm not strong enough....." she whispered softly to herself.

Emily took no notice of footsteps in the room later on as she felt more tears coming.

"Emily..." a gentle voice came out of the darkness, Emily looked up from the fire to see Mr. Lordi standing in front of her. The light of the fire shone on him like an orange light and he knelt down to her side.

"Emily, why are you crying?" he asked softly,

Emily wanted to be honest with him but was afraid to tell him because of what he would think. "I'm not crying. I have something in my eyes," she lied and quickly looked back at the fire to hide her face but Mr. Lordi put his hand under her chin and lifted her head up.

Emily looked at him with tears falling,

"It looks more like you are crying. What is wrong?" Mr. Lordi asked. Emily sighed knowing she couldn't hide anything from him.

"We lost so many today and did nothing to save them. Not saying it was your fault, you said pretty clearly that we couldn't do anything at the moment because we are not strong enough. But I am scared Mr. Lordi, I'm not that strong. Sure I fought off a few demons six months ago but this is different. I don't think I can do this,"

Mr. Lordi took her hands into his, "Emily no one, not even me is expecting you to put your life on the line or kill the enemy all by yourself. That is not your destiny. I know it seems overwhelming now that you and I have been given the task to face this enemy together but you must be strong for me. I cannot do this without you,"

Emily looked at him silently and realized that he was right. Mr. Lordi would need to rely on the power of love between the two of them in order to bring the enemy down. "You're right, you need me in order to defeat this enemy no matter the cost," she said calmly. Still holding her hands Mr. Lordi pulled her to her feet and close to him.

Emily looked at him silently with her heart racing and Mr. Lordi stroked her hair gently.

"Evilyn's brother may be strong but he will not hurt you, and he will never tear this bond apart. You have nothing to be afraid of,"

Emily turned pink at the moment while looking at him and then he chuckled, "Emily you really look cute when you blush." Emily turned redder and then Mr. Lordi noticed around her neck was the ruby heart shaped necklace he had given her back in Lapland.

"You are still wearing it?" he asked and then Emily smiled,

"I never took it off. I was wearing it last night too didn't you notice?" she asked. Mr. Lordi shook his head. This time it was Emily who chuckled a little, "Start noticing a little more!"

Then before she could say anything else; Mr. Lordi locked his arms around her waist and kissed her right on the lips. Emily's heart thudded and she kissed him back immediately. The kiss became deeper right away and stung her hard like venom. Mr. Lordi held her tighter than ever as if he was a spider binding its prey before drinking its blood. Emily forgot about all her concerns about the mission as the kiss continued in the darkness in front of the fire.

***

Ten minutes later Mr. Lordi sat in the chair by the fire with Emily on his lap. He held her hand and had his other arm around her. Emily looked into his bright red eyes smiling.

"Tell me why we are here again," she asked him.

"I want to spend a few moments with you before we go on our mission to find more allies. Time to spend with the one I love is to be spent wisely especially on the brink of another war,"

Emily blushed and did not want to take her eyes off him, "You know, sitting in this room in the dark with you right now reminds me of the night you came to me. Then I passed out in your arms," Emily told him.

Mr. Lordi chuckled, "Yes that was a rather frightening moment for you. I almost feel bad for scaring you that night, I should have just done it a more simple way to confess my love for you,"

Emily shook her head, "You are a Monsterman, perhaps you wanted to do it your own way," She Mr. Lordi caressed her cheek, "One special moment I will never forget is how hard you fought to find me in Lapland. You never gave up until you found me,"

Emily's heart raced at these words as she looked at him with love and she sat closer to him. "Whenever you are ready to go I am." she said softly.

Mr. Lordi pulled her closer to him locking his arms tight around her, "This is a special moment Emily, one that I want to last before we return to war. Let us not waste it."

Emily agreed, "You're right. We should spend some time together while we still can." She replied. Mr. Lordi gazed into her eyes affectionately,

"I love you Emily, and I want this to last,"

Emily's heart thudded, "I love you too Mr. Lordi, so much more than you know."

"I already know." He said and then he pulled her closer and his lips met with hers once again. She kissed him back and locked her arms around his neck and let her heart open to him. His arms tightened around her more as if at any moment his nails would tear through her dress and pierce her skin causing her to bleed but it never did. It was painful but passionate affection and Emily loved it; her heart pounded and she felt something warm against her like a powerful feeling of love that could never be broken. Mr. Lordi's monstrous heart was beating fast and burning with passion inside now that he had his one true love in his arms again. He did not want this moment to end. No demon will touch her, I will never let her go, Mr. Lordi thought as he continued to kiss Emily in the darkness as the fire went out pouring the night into the room.