The Meetup

I was still confused as to how these... hackers found out about Camp Lakeway. Were they there?

I bet it's that bitch Chelsea that told the camp counsellor I kissed a boy behind the forest. She always hated me.

I had gotten home a little after four, it now was eight.

The text hadn't left my mind. I had googled the number and nothing had come up. All I know is, the text came from Arizona. It has the same first number as me, 555.

My town only had a few thousand people in it. If I narrowed it down, I bet I could figure it out in a couple days, max. I had watched enough Criminal Minds to know how.

"Sofia, dinner." My Dad called.

I sighed, throwing my phone onto my bed.

It was hot in Arizona. We had gotten back from Summer break last week and I don't think the heat wave we're in is going to cool down any time soon.

I headed down the stairs to the kitchen. Spaghetti.

I hate spaghetti.

"Here." My step-mom Rebecca smiled, handing me my plate. I took it from her, straight faced and sat in my usual chair, away from there.

"How was school Sofi?" My Dad said, using my nickname. I shrugged, twirling the noodles around my fork, "It was school."

"Did you have your history class?" He asked again. I nodded, biting back the disgust I have for spaghetti as I swallow. "That's good. Your class trip to San Diego is coming up soon, are you excited?"

I had forgotten about that.

I had forgotten about a lot of things.

"I guess. It's a week away from this shit-hole so that's a bonus."

"Sofi, please. Don't swear at the table." Dad sighed, looking to Rebecca. She just shrugged, keeping her head down.

I do feel bad for always being a bitch. I actually like Rebecca but sometimes she just tries to hard to be a replacement Mom. My actual Mom only died two years ago, and Dad moved on so quickly.

"Can you pass the parmesan please Rebecca." I gave her a weak smile. She perked her head up and handed me the bowl of parm, sending me a warm smile.

I sprinkled a friendly amount before putting it back.

"Have we paid for the trip yet?" I asked. Dad nodded, "The ticket is on the fridge."

I looked over to the fridge. Next to the ticket, was a picture of my Mom. I missed her.

I silently finished my spaghetti and placed my bowl in the sink, washing it out, "Thank you for dinner, it was nice." I said quietly, practically running up the stairs.

I picked up my phone.

No notifications.

Usually I'd be upset that I had no notifications, but I was relieved. I was afraid I'd have another message from that rando.

I switched it off, laying flat onto my back as I sucked in a breath. What do I have to lose honestly? What if tonight is just some harmless prank?

It could be some kids from the high school down the valley trying to scare me. The only reason why I'm slightly concerned is because nobody really knows who I am. I transferred in Sophomore year and never really made any friends.

I doubt kids from Greenville knows who I am, or anybody from Suncrest. We're just some stupid town in the middle of butt-fuck nowhere.

Do I go?