The Stakeout

It was pretty much a stakeout at this point.

Most of the ambulance and fire had left at this point, but there was one or two cop cars that still remained.

The finger was wrapped in cloth hiding in the boot with a fake picnic also sitting there.

Apparently, according to the note, the cops will be at my door in two minutes. My guess, to ask about the break in yesterday. If I'm not there, they'll have to come back which hopefully puts a flaw in there plan.

"How do we put the finger in the river without acting weird? We're gonna get caught." James said, "Don't be such a pussy man, it's fine." Mason said casually.

I stared at him like a mad man.

"Ooh guys, here. The articles out."

Suncrest Valley Daily News:

"A body has been found near Church Hills road beloved Church, floating around the mote. The victim is believed to have been homeless as nobody has claimed the body. Belongings had been found stored under a pew with nothing but rope and a flashlight. The victim is also missing an index finger, which is believed to have been accidentally chopped off during their mission to escape.

At this point in time, we are ruling it an accidental suicide as no suspects have been named. However, we are keeping a close on residents and a curfew will start at 8pm, starting tonight onwards for one week."

"A curfew? What the fuck?"

"It's just til this thing dies down. But at least now, we know the finger is theres and we can discard of it."

Carefully, I climb out of the car, my fingers shaking as I pop the trunk, grabbing the picnic basket and a blanket.

I place them down, keeping no eye on the cops across the way as I set up the plan.

Fortunately, God is on my side today as the grass - which hasn't been taken care of in years is longer than the average grass, so it'll be easy to get rid of evidence.

"You do realise, we're tampering with a crime scene right?" James whispers in my ears, "Criminals minds do it all the time." I shrugged, whispering back.

James smirked and shook his head, "Well if you go down, we're coming with you."

"Oh really? I appreciate that." I mocked, nudging his his shoulder.

The finger was in an old dip container surrounded by tissue. I nearly gagged when I opened the lid, "Can you see anyone?" I asked Evelyn, "Nobody. Do it now before they come over here."

I held my breath, scooting as close as I could to the rivers edge before throwing the container down, letting the finger roll down the band. Thankfully it landed in the water with soft splash as it began trickling down the bank.

It'll either end up in the mote or the towns water supply, so...

When I ended up breathing normally, I sat back on the bank, letting the shivers in my body go down.

555-345-987
The fingers gone, but so's the ID,
Your house is unsupervised, how naive.
Sorry not sorry, it's sad to see you go,
Have a good life now, on death row.