The Funeral

I stood in my black dress and my black heels, a black fur coat draped over my shoulders.

I didn't hide the tears that stained my face with black mascara. And neither did the rain. It poured, and poured, and poured. The black rain clouds, the grey snow. And even the white roses placed atop of her casket, seemed black.

Everything was black.

My father, who got back last night sat on the chairs in the front row, feigning sadness as he cried with Rebecca's parents.

My friends stood solemnly at the back with me, their heads low and tensions high.

I wiped my face with the back of my hand, my black nail polish reminding me just how horrible this day is.

"You okay?" James whispered. I just shrugged, not uttering a word.

I haven't spoken to anyone. Not even my backstabber of a father, who's tried every second to talk to me. I just don't trust him. I can't believe him.

He looked back at me, brown eyes glistening with fake tears. He pleaded for me to say anything. But I just stared at him, removing my gaze from his as I looked to the speaker, shedding real tears while talking about how amazing Rebecca was.

"... While it is sad that we will no longer get to see Rebecca's beautiful face, we must remind ourselves of the life that Rebecca lived, not the one she lost." 

I stopped listening after that.

She may have been my step mother, but she was the first one that I liked. 

+ + + 

I was cold beyond repair, shivering violently as I stood, bored in a conversation with my father and some random man who knew Rebecca.

"Well Rebecca and my daughter were close, weren't you Sofi." Dad said, a low smile on his face. I turned to him, ignoring his words before walking off, taking a seat under the black tent. 

The hole in the ground was covered now, a concrete headstone with her name on it in big letters. I sighed, it doesn't seem real.

I was writhing with anger, the person responsible still threatening out lives. My fists balled at my sides as I took a deep breath in. "Did you know Rebecca?" Someone asked me.

I looked up. A boy, who looked my age, maybe a bit older sat down beside me. I nodded, "She was my step-mother."

The boy sucked on his teeth, "Ah. She was my sister." 

"I'm so sorry." 

He shrugged, "We weren't close. But thank you." 

He had brown hair, the opposite of Rebecca's. It flowed into a quiff on the left side of his face, a nose piercing on the right. I could see some of the features that Rebecca had on his face. He gave me a tightl-lipped smile, but it radiated warmth.

"Sorry, I'm not usually this hostile. I haven't been to a funeral since the death of my grandmother about five years ago." He apologised and I smiled.

"Don't apologise. This is the first funeral I've been too since my Mom died so." His smile seemed to fade after that, almost like I had burned him. "I'm sorry." He simply said.

I nodded, "Same." 

I sat with Rebecca's brother for what felt like hours; when in reality it was only a few minutes. "I didn't catch your name." He spoke. "Sofia." I told him, not meeting his glance. 

"Nice to meet you to Sofia. I'm Charlie." I nodded at his name, staring at the wet dirt in front of me. The dirt would soon be mud, which would soon be covered in snow. 

"Are you from here? Churchill?" Charlie asked. For a guy I just met, he asked a lot of questions, "Uh yeah. Born and raised you?" 

He shook his head, "New York." 

That's where his accent is from.

I studied her gravestone once more, tears filling my eyes again as I read over the words.

Loving wife, sister, daughter and step-mother. 

I squeezed my eyes shut, my eyes burning with hot tears. I am so sick of crying. All I've done for two days is cry. I cried my mascara off twice this morning, Evelyn had to distract me with talk of this girl she's trying to hook up with just so I could go five minutes without crying.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around, seeing James's heavenly face looking down at me, "Are you ready to go?" He said with a tight jaw. I nodded.

He came around to the front of me, holding his hands out. "Boyfriend?" Charlie asked, nodding to our joined hands. I bit my tongue, "Kin-" "Yes." James interrupted, a glare set on Charlie's face. "Right. Well it was nice to meet you Sofia." Charlie said with a curt nod, a hint of a smirk on his lips.

I looped my arm through James's, leaning my head on his shoulder, "Who was that?" James asked me once we were far enough away. "Charlie. Rebecca's brother why?" I croaked out. 

James shook his head, "I don't know. I got bad vibes from him or something. He didn't cry, he was laughing with his parents." 

I smiled at his protectiveness, "People laugh as a coping mechanism." I shrugged. James smiled back, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. And for the first time in two days, I giggled.

"You are so beautiful, Sofia." He whispered softly. I looked into his eyes, "Charlie isn't here. You don't have to be my boyfriend." I winked, but in all honesty I hoped he would.

Butterflies filled my stomach, as he kissed my cheek. I bit my lip and felt my whole body suddenly go hot. But when I pulled away, I felt cold. I looked around, seeing if anybody was watching. Thankfully they weren't.

But I know what James's means now when he said he got bad vibes from Charlie.

Because his eyes were staring straight at me.

+ + + 

Another short chapter argh!! I'm so sorry!

I hope you guys liked this - or didn't, it was kind of sad. 

Poor Rebecca, I'll miss her :(

How are you guys? Doing/did anything for New Years? Let me know down below. 

Love you and happy reading Xx