The Bomb

The next day at school, I was on the edge of my seat.

I had come to terms with everything last night and this in fact, is not a joke. It was some cruel, sick person who was threatening us.

I kept my head down, not looking at anything or anyone. I hadn't slept in two days and it was starting to take a toll on me.

I was walking to my math class when I felt a hand around my shoulder. I looked up to find Mason, looking at me casually.

I was confused, until I saw the fear in his eyes.

He led me to an empty classroom where all the lights were off, "What's going on?" I asked, once he released me from his grasp. "It's Evie." 

My heart began to beat against my chest, "She got a text this morning of her kissing that Gracie girl, and it was sent to her parents." 

I shrugged, "What about it?" 

"Her parents are homophobic. They hit her." Mason said, pain in his eyes. I started breathing heavy, "Where is she?" I asked.

"She's at home. She's coming in later but her face is all red and- swollen." 

I began to get angry, "What the fuck? Why? Why would they do that? They're supposed to love her." I said. Mason nodded, "Yeah I know. It's fucked up." 

I sighed, rubbing my temples, "We'll talk about it when she gets here but right now, we've got to get to class." 

I was sitting idly in class, tapping my pencil against my worksheet. Everyone was already on the second page and I was stuck on the third question.

Who cares about trig, not me.

I started writing down my question, accidentally snapping my pencil led when the all quiet classroom suddenly got infiltrated with a text message.

I held my breath, squeezing my eyes shut as I recognised the text sound as my phone. 

"Phones off guys, come on." My math teacher sighed. 

The scary thing is, I had turned my phone off. 

My phone made noise again and I cringed, continuing on with my work to not look too suspicious, "Okay, seriously. Who is it?" 

Everyone looked around, but no one cam  e forward. I just hoped it didn't go off again.

I put my head down, my head completely draining off all and knowledge I did have of trigonometry as I focused on what the text could be.

Fortunately for me, it didn't. But I did have this constant nagging feeling in my brain that the texts were not my Dad asking me what I wanted for dinner.

But just to my luck, my phone started ringing, James is calling...

I froze, looking up to find my teacher and forty pairs of eyes staring directly at me, "Miss Holland, please step outside." Mr Post growled, pointing to the door.

I nodded, quickly scrambling out the door as I answered the phone, pressing it to my ear, "What? I was in the middle of a test." I hissed.

"Have you checked your messages?" He asks me frantic. I shake my head, swallowing my fear as I pull the phone away from my face, clicking onto my texts.

555-345-987
There is a bomb in the boiler room set to thirty minutes from now.

555-345-987
Better get running if you don't want to be lunch for the pigs.

I started heavy breathing, "We've already wasted eleven minutes, meet us down here now, hurry!" 

I hung up the phone, ready to take off when Mr Post opened the door, "Sofia, you do realise the consequences of your actions for having your phone on during a test. And then getting a call? I thought you of all people would know better."