The Joint

We were back in Chruchill, driving silently.

Turns out Evelyn was on the phone to James, she asked him to come pick us up. 

I sat in the front quietly with my head on my palm, my brain rushing with thoughts. 

My phone kept buzzing in my hand and I finally picked it up.

4 missed calls from Dad...

We pulled up to my house and I angrily stormed inside, answering the phone on his fifth ring.

"What do you want?" I said, venom laced within my voice, "Where are you? Sorry I missed your call I was busy-"

"Busy with that woman. Yeah, I know." I said, pacing around the room.

The line went quiet. "W-what?" 

"I saw you with her. Are you, fucking serious? First Mom and now Rebecca? Have you no decency?" 

"Do not swear at me young lady, you have no idea what it's like for me." He yelled at me, "You have no idea what its like for me. You and Mom were happy, then when she got sick, you bailed and cheated on her with Rebecca. You upped at married her in a heartbeat. Now, Rebecca's sick, and you're jumping onto the next woman. What the hell is wrong with you?" 

James and Evelyn were standing by the front door staring at me.

I put the phone on speaker so they could hear. 

I squeezed my eyes shut, daring myself to yell at him again.

"I'm sorry Sofia. I am, but losing two women, it's just not something I can do, not again." 

I sniffed, "Whatever. I don't even care anymore. But if you wanna marry this woman, don't expect me to be nice to her or even come to the wedding. I've been to two, that's enough." And with that, I hung up the phone.

"Little harsh, Sofia. I love it." Evelyn smiled.

I shot her a wink, "Right, do you wanna get drunk?" I wiped my eyes with the back of my sleeve, "What? Of course." She laughs, "Sure, should I call Mason? He can get us more alcohol." 

I nodded my head, "The more the merrier."

+ + +

My head felt light as I tipped my second bottle back.

Turns out I am a lightweight. After constant teasing from everyone, I finally admitted to it.

Music was blasting from the TV speakers, "My Dad is such a dick." I screamed, licking the rim of the bottle, "Agreed." 

James smirked at me from the couch and I smiled back, "You know what I still don't understand?" I slurred, getting down from the table.

"The theory of relativity?" Mason snorted, taking a hit of his joint before blowing it out. 

"Life?" Evelyn added, "No, shush shh." I said, pressing a finger to my lips, "Why the hell this is happening."

"Like, why us. Of all people. We have nothing in common, no friends in common- nothing. So why is every bad thing happening to us." 

Come on Eileen played through the speakers, while the rest of us stayed silent, "I'm sorry if I ruined the mood but like, come on. If we haven't figured it out by now, there we're never going too. We've been through enough bad shit to last a life time." 

I hiccuped, slouching down onto the couch next to James.

I felt him sigh as I leaned against him, "It's complete bullshit." 

My phone rang on the table and I glanced at the name, Dad is calling...

"Fuck him." I shrugged, taking another sip, "Empty. Uh oh. I'll be back." I winked, skipping away to the garage. I don't know how Mason managed to get so much alcohol, but he just said 'my dad owes me'. 

I grab an apple and pear cider before closing the garage door, stopping in my place when I see James, Evelyn and Mason huddled in a small circle.

"What's going on?" I asked.

They jumped, looking to me quickly with guilt-ridden eyes, "Nothing." Evelyn said quickly.

"Tell me what's going on. Right now." I demanded, placing my bottle on the table. "What the hell?" I said, noticing my phone in Jame's hand. I yanked it away and stared at the screen.

"You were on the phone with my Dad?" I said angrily, "What the fuck." 

I took a step back, slipping my phone into my pocket. "What's going on." I said again, staring at them. "Do you wanna sit down?" Evelyn asked, "No I don't want to sit down I want to know what's going on." 

James cleared his throat, "Sofia..." He said quietly, "Rebecca... died." 

Well, that sobered me up.

It was like a shot to the heart. The air got sucked out of my lungs and I stood still. 

I felt my eyes glaze over as I blinked away unshed tears. I sat down on the couch before looking up, "Mason." I said. He nodded, "Come here." 

He walked over to me slowly and flinched when I reached out to grab his joint.

I inhaled a large puff and coughed slightly, blowing out the air. I felt the buzz and immediately relaxed, "Holy fuck." 

+ + + 

Hi guys.

I'm so sorry for the long wait. 

I hope you guys had an amazing Christmas (for those who celebrate) and an even equally amazing New Years. I went away to a log cabin for 8 days and didn't have reception. 

What did you think of this chapter? So sad huh :( 
I'm sorry it's short x

Happy reading Xx