The Date

When I woke up this morning, it was awfully bright in my room.

I peered through the crack in my curtains to see that it was in fact not sun but in fact, snow. My eyes widened as I rubbed away the sleep, pulling my curtains wider to gaze at the snow.

It looked so fresh and powdery.

My phone went off and I was surprised I had so many missed messages.

James
Change of plans... training is canceled coz of snow :/

Shit. That makes so much sense.

I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, typing back a message before shoving my feet into slippers and shuffling downstairs.

"Rebecca?" I called, hearing no response.

That's weird, where is she?

"Rebecca?" I called again. I walked into the kitchen, seeing a note taped to the fridge.

Got called into work, dishes need to be done and laundry, thanks! R.

I rolled my eyes, of course I'm stuck with the chores. 

The house was cold so I turned on the heater and waited for it to warm up, switching on the TV so I had some background noise and didn't feel so alone.

Whilst I waited for the water to turn hot, I scrolled through my phone, seeing a message from James pop up.

James
So what're you doing today?

I smiled, biting my lip.

Me
Chores :/ home alone.

The three little bubbles popped up before they went away again. I frowned, did I say the wrong thing.

Then they appeared again.

James
Want company?

My smile widened when he said he was already in the car. I guess the good thing about small towns are, you're never too far away. 

+ + +

I wiped sweat off my forehead and rolled my sleeves down just as there was a knock at the door. 

Opening the door, I welcomed in James who was carrying his backpack.

"You weren't lying about the chores then." He smirked. I shook my head, "Give me two minutes to go change." I laughed.

Barreling up the stairs, I threw open my door and slipped off my shorts.

I pulled on a black pair of jeans and a grey-crop top. Keeping my socks with the spaghetti pattern on. I took my hair out of the ponytail it was in and sprayed a tiny bit of perfume before making my way back down the stairs.

"So, what do you wanna do?" I asked, sitting down on the couch next to him. He shrugged his shoulders, "We could do homework, watch a movie or go for a walk." He listed off ideas and all of them sounded great - except the homework on. But I am behind on like all of my classes.

"How about all of them? My step-mom got called into work so we're home alone for like the whole day." I realised as soon as I said it that it sounded a lot more sexual than I intended, however, I wouldn't be upset if anything was to happen...

James's lips turned up into a smirk and he stood up, holding out his hand for me to take, "Well then, you should probably get changed." He said, looking me up and down.

I smiled, letting go of his hand before briskly walking up the stairs.

And now, for my third outfit change of the day...

+ + + 

James and I walked hand-in-hand through the snow. The fresh powder made a squeaking noise beneath my feet as we trudged along. "Wanna go to waffle house?" I asked, suddenly feeling hungry. "Sure." He shrugged.

Thankfully living in a small town meant everything was in walking distance, so we turned onto the main street and began walking toward the house of the Gods.

"Ladies first." James winked, holding the door open for me as I shuffled inside, pulling my jacket hood off my head, "Your cheeks are all pink." He smiled, poking my cheeks as I unzipped the heavy thing.

"You have hat hair." I teased, causing him to lift his arm to his (perfect) hair.

I made my way to a booth, sitting down in the far corner as James sat opposite me, "So, why waffles?" My mouth fell agape, "Are you kidding me? Waffles are the best food to ever be created. After pasta and lucky charms." I laughed, scanning over the huge menu.

James chuckled alongside me, not even picking up his menu.

"Are you not getting anything?" I asked. He nodded, "I am. I already know what I'm getting though." 

I glared at him just as a waitress came over, "Welcome to Waffle House, what can I get started for ya'll today." She smiled, looking between us, "Yeah can I grab the waffle stack with no bacon and extra syrup please." I asked, "Sure, and for you sir?" 

James cleared his throat, "The same. But with bacon and no syrup." 

I gasped, "Illegal." I whispered, "And any drinks or are ya'll fine with water?" 

I looked at James, "Two chocolate milkshakes please." 

She took our order and our menus, leaving us alone. "I can't believe you're going to have dry pancakes. You're insane!" I argued with him, "No way. Bacon and pancakes are the best. Have you not watched Adventure Time?" 

I most certainly have! I just can't believe he's having dry pancakes... WITH bacon! 

I shook my head, laughing, "You're crazy." 

Silence reigned over us as I looked out the window. The snow was coming down hard and I had no doubt it'd be up to our knees tomorrow morning. 

I sighed, leaning my head on my hand as I played with the napkin in front of me, "What's up?" James asked, taking the napkin from me and replacing it with his hand. I smiled, our fingers interlocking.

He rubbed his thumb over my knuckles reassuringly, calming me down, "I just feel like we should've gone into the school today." I shrugged, "We might've had a chance. Especially with everyone out. We won't have a chance like this for another week." 

James nodded, feigning the same expression as me, "I know what you mean." He agreed.

Our hands were still connected when the waitress brought our milkshakes over, "Thank you." I said to her, taking a sip. 

"How about this." James said, my eyes meeting his, "If school's cancelled on Monday, we go in. Otherwise, we wait until prom night, that way, everyone is out of school and if we figure out who it is, we can confront them." 

That sounded like a good plan. I nodded, an uneasy feeling settling inside me.

"I just still feel weird about it." I admitted to him, glancing around. "Me too." 

James lifted my hand to his lips and placed a soft kiss on the top of my hand, letting go before taking a sip of his milkshake.

+ + + 

AHHHH, my babies!!!

What do you guys think is going to happen? Do you reckon they'll figure out who it is?

Thanks so much for reading, I'm sorry for the long wait, been Christmas shopping, graduating, birthdays etc... XX