The Finger

We had successfully made it outside, no sight of anyone anywhere, in fact, it looked even more deserted than before.

Mason stopped in his tracks, punching the ground below him, "We could've had him."

Suddenly, our phones went off, indicating a text.

I caught my breath, locking eyes with the others as we pulled out our phones.

555-345-987
You nearly caught me, but I'm too quick.
I hope you're ready for my next trick...

"What do they mean by that?" Evelyn yelled, "What do they mean-"

A car alarm started blaring through the carpark, scaring me. We realised it was James's car as we all made our way over to it. "How did they get out of there so quickly, fuck with my car and not get caught?"

I was scanning the forest line, the breeze whipping at my hair. "They're watching us, somewhere. I can feel it."

"James said, the person was taking photos of you last night, right? Through your bedroom window." I nodded, "Yeah I think so. But I checked it before I left this morning, there is no sign of anything even remotely suspicious that looks anything like a camera."

"Shit."

"They're not working alone. I bet you."

That's something we can agree on.

555-345-987
Go back to the Church and you will find,
something that you left behind...

I glanced at my phone and re-read it a thousand times, looking over in Evelyn's direction, "Did anyone else just get the text?"

Mason turned around, "No? What text?"

"I just got a text saying, go back to the church and you will find something that you left behind, I- was this just to me?"

I wiped my clammy hands on my pants, "We're going back to the church."

James took a u-turn as we turned the corner to the church.

My eyes widened in horror as police, ambulance and fire all gathered around the church, "What is going on?"

Without even stopping the car, I got out, Evelyn and Mason chasing behind me.

There was police tape lining the entrance, investigators, detectives all swarming the inside and outside of the church.

"What is going on?"

"Excuse me folks, you can't be here." A police officer came up to us and said, "So sorry sir, we were just wondering what happened." I said, keeping my eyes glued to scene.

"A body was found floating in the mote about twenty minutes ago. We suspect they were living in the church because we found belongings, a bag with rope and other stuff."

My mouth ran dry, that bag is mine. "That's such a shame, do you uh- k-know what happened to them?"

"We suspect there was an invasion of some kind. There was a barrier built up to the bay window with the door open, but there was also broken glass and other pieces."

I nodded, swallowing my guilt and fear as I took a step back.

"What's with you? You look like you've seen a ghost." James said, "That bag is mine." I whispered, "What?"

"That bag. I packed it the night we all met with rope, a torch that kind of stuff. I must've left it behind I- that's what they were talking about." I freaked.

"Okay, look- it's gonna be fine. You didn't have ID in it or anything right?"

I shook my head, "No but it's my school bag. There's probably something-"

"Oh my God." Evelyn said, "They're here."

Surely enough, peeking behind the tree-line, dressed in all black, was the figure from last night. "How can they get away with this?"

The clock tower rang, indicating it was 11am, "I don't know. But we have ten hours to figure it out."

+ + +

I sat, biting my nails and tearing skin off my lips as I waited anxiously to hear the news. Suncrest Valley daily news was updated almost every hour, there's got to be something.

"I just got off the phone with Ashton's doctor, it's not looking good."

"Yeah, I overheard the coroner at the church say something about the body dying of lead consumption... sound familiar?" Evelyn said.

It's all connected somehow, I just can't figure it out.

"How is everything connected. There's got to be some loose ends that need to be tied up?" I blurted.

"All we know is, Ashton was hurt because he told us information. The reporter of the information and the body that was found, both died from lead poisoning."

"Is that it? Is that all we have?"

I was pacing around my living room. We had decided to retreat back to mine. Rebecca wouldn't be back until tomorrow and my Dad was working late again.

"There must be something leading back to that church."

A knock on the door pulls me out of my concentration and I open it to find no one standing there. Looking down, there's a package labeled with my name on it.

"I just got a package." I said, picking it up.

"Does it say where it's from?"

I shake my head, grabbing James's car keys and using them to rip the tape off.

"Oh my God- what is that smell?" I coughed, covering my nose.

Evelyn moved away from the box, as did the others as I pulled out the mountains of tissue paper.

I looked down, screaming before nearly tripping over the couch, "Oh my God, oh my God ew what the fuck!" I screamed, jumping up and down, "What? What is it, what's wrong?" James asks, wide eyed as he holds onto my arms.

"T-there's a finger in there." I whisper, teary-eyed.

Mason peers into it, "That is- fucking disgusting." He says dramatically, "But there's also an envelope."

He pulls it off, "It's addressed to you."

I carefully tear the paper, trying to trash the image of the finger from my mind.

Do you like my present? It's awfully sweet.
But in ten little minutes, you'll be off your feet.
Maybe in a squad car, or maybe you'll be free,
Start counting your blessings, you'll need more than three.

I pulled out my student ID that had my name, number and school written on it. It was water damaged and had blood stains.

"This must've been in the bag."

"So that person killed the dead guy, cut off his finger, sent you and your ID to your house, and is now sending the cops here? How is that fair?" Mason growled.

"It's not." I sniffed, walking over to the box, "This finger probably belongs to the dead guy. We have four more minutes until the daily news comes out. My idea-"

"We drive to the church and plant the evidence?" James smirks, "We're going full detective style bitches."

+ + +

Hello lovelies!

I hope you're ready... coz it's on!

Xx