Questions for the Author

Author's Note: Hello everyone, I hope you're all keeping safe and sane through these harsh times. Try to find joy in the smallest things to keep us going on a day-to-day basis. I received a notification from a fellow reader of 1976, their name is spaceface0 and they had some really good questions to ask regarding the book and I thought it would be great to answer these questions as a chapter in the book. I want to thank this reader for showing so much love and support for the book, it means the world to me. I also feel like these questions are a good reminder of why I started to write this book and why I feel it's worth the effort and time to read as well as write the book. Let's get started, shall we? 

Q1) Where did the story get its inspiration? 

I read a book about 7 years ago titled, 'Calling me home' by Julie Kibler and instantly fell in love with the story. It's an interracial love story set in Kentucky in the United States of America during the 1930s. It was inspired by the Author's grandmother's life. If you're a fan of 'The Help' then you'd surely enjoy this book. when I finished reading the book, I couldn't sleep for a whole week. I kept thinking, 'What if this was set in South Africa, during Apartheid?' I felt so drawn by the idea that the characters started to speak to me before I could even write the book. First, it was Nolwazi, a young teenage girl living in Soweto...and the opening chapter of the book 'The prologue' began to form in my mind. You know when an idea is so good, it won't ever leave your mind? you think about it day in and day out until you're pushed to get it on paper; That's what I did. I'd never poured so much of myself into a chapter as I did in the prologue; it really set the tone for the world this book was meant to be set in and the rest is history...Still writing it to this day.

Q2) What is the main theme and/or message of the book?

The main message of the book is that love doesn't play by the rules. That there is a kind of love that can stand the test of time and space. in 1976, we're faced with laws that deny interracial relationships. we've seen the consequences that Nolwazi and Henri could face if they choose to be together and yet...their small acts of defiance show that their love is worth fighting for. I also feel like teenage love stories are so energetic and fearless in their pursuit of it. I mean, look and Romeo and Juliet; their love was so fuelled with young passion and fire that they were willing to die together for it. Finding that one person you couldn't live without. and even if the timing was horrible, the universe has a way of bringing two lovers together when they're destined. 

Q3) What do you hope your readers will take away from this book? 

I really want my readers to understand that the time and place that this love story is set in has an impact on the characters and I love how my readers share their thoughts on how things could work out for Nolwazi and Henri but also understand the risks and consequences of their actions should they choose to be together. It is made pretty clear that Nolwazi and Henri being together poses more threats than reassurance and safety.  A lot of the time, we see the characters in survival mode. Always fighting one battle after another and you begin to realize that surviving comes first and certain decisions are made because they need to survive. their decisions may not sit well with the readers but they should come to understand why those decisions were made. The country is at war and we can only hope that the war doesn't come in between Nolwazi and Henri for good. We're all hoping that their love will stand the test of time and space. Having compassion for the characters and their decisions is key in this story. 

Q4) How are the Characters going to fare in the future? is there going to be a sequel?

I have thought about whether the book should have a sequel or not and I've decided that it won't. the year 1976 and the events that unfolded during this year in the history of Apartheid really drive the story for most of the book and the decisions that the characters have to make because of the time and place they reside in. In the book, time does go beyond 1976 up until 1994 (when the first democratic elections are held and Apartheid has been abolished). We will get to see how all the characters, especially Nolwazi and Henri have developed over those years and whether they are together or not. But you can share your thoughts in the comment section if there should be a sequel or not.