Chapter 1

A rooster croaks in the distance as it signals a new dawn. But it's not the rooster that wakes me up. A gentle hand rests on my shoulder and shakes me ever so lightly. My eyelids slowly rise and I turn to see aunt Dineo with a smile that makes me forget the awful nightmare I had of the night Papa and Mama died years ago. I sit upright to get a clear view of her, then I see a small white box with the lid open, and inside are six cupcakes. Each of which have three lit candles dancing, waiting in anticipation to be blown out. "Happy birthday, Nolwazi!" But before I can say anything,  uncle Jabu, Thato and Senzo emerge to join aunt Dineo as they all sing happy birthday to me. They all sing in unison and they clap rhythmically along to their voices while I blush in embarrassment, but its aunt Dineo's voice that steals the show. Her eyes light up with joy as she sings to me and I'm reminded of the days she and Mama would sing as we'd walk to church on Sundays. The pair were unstoppable, and every street we passed, neighbours would wave and shout joyously and begin to sing along.

My daydreams are interrupted when Senzo hugs me tightly. "Happy birthday,  Sis" and his left arm appears from behind his back to present an envelope to me. "What's this?" I ask in curiosity.  "Money," uncle Jabu says with a shy smile. I can tell it isn't much by the way he looks at aunt Dineo in appreciation for her effort in the gift. "It's not much, but we figured you're too old for toys. We thought it would be much better if you got yourself something. " there's a moment of silence as I take the envelope from Senzo's hand and tear it open. Two ten rand notes slip out and fall onto my lap. I look up in surprise and I can tell this was all they had and that it should rather have been spent on food for dinner, yet they decided to give it to me.

"Thank you," I say in gratitude with a hint of guilt "you really didn't have to do this for me-"
"We wanted to. You deserve it. You've helped so much around the house and the two of you are like family." Aunt Dineo says as she sits beside me at the edge of the bed. "And besides, you're eighteen years old now. We're adults so they better start treating us like it" says Thato and he thumps at his chest to show off his macho side. "Nice try Thato. As long as you're living  under this roof-"
"I'm still your little boy. Yeah Yeah, I get it"
I can't help but laugh at Thato's failed attempt and we all giggle for a moment. "So, have you thought of what to buy yet?" Senzo asks. I'm surprised at the sound of his voice, because it's much deeper than I remembered. And I notice he's almost Thato's height. I guess Senzo is also too old for toys. "Not really" I say whilst deep in thought of how much time has flown by.
"Well, you could always get me the Supa Strikas comic book that's out in store" Senzo leans in to give me the puppy dog eyes. "Or, you could always save?" Uncle Jabu says and shakes his head towards Senzo. "Your time will come, little one" says aunt Dineo. "Anyway, maybe it's's not money you need, but a wish." And aunt Dineo brings the box towards my face.  "Make a wish". I take a deep breath and as I do so, I'm thinking of a wish. Before I know it, an image of the policeman flashes before my eyes. My body cringes at the memory, and I notice that I'm holding my breathe in the air.
"You're supposed to blow, genius" Thato mocks and I blow out the candles and the room is filled with claps and cheers.
"What did you wish for?" Senzo asks. "You're not supposed to tell your wish,otherwise...It won't come true" uncle Jabu says with caution and he walks out the door. "The cupcakes will be waiting for you in the kitchen", aunt Dineo says and she stands up, making her way to the door. Thato and Senzo also make their way for the door and I'm reminded to get out of bed to go wash up.

When I'm done washing up, I leave the bathroom and head to the bedroom where Thato and I have slept in for years. The thought of us together in bed makes me blush, because I know it isn't what my ten year old self thought back then. But now that we're older, it seems inappropriate. I walk into the room to find him shirtless, looking for another shirt to wear. He turns around at my arrival and we're looking at one another in silence. Trying to avoid eye contact, I look down to see myself wet, and in my towel. Wow, this is awkward. As if to have read my thoughts, Thato utters "uh, just looking for another shirt to wear. I'll be out soon." And he picks up a random shirt from from a pile and puts it on. As I watch him, I begin to realize how all the hard work in the gardens had paid off. His arms are now bigger and more muscular.  And his back muscles are more defined. It's time he worked in the mines,  I think to myself. When he's done, he looks over to find I'm still looking at him. "What?" He asks, walking towards me and suddenly I'm embarrassed that he caught me staring. I clear my throat, "You're not thin anymore." I say shyly as I hold my towel even tighter. His height overwhelms me as he stands right in front of me. He looks down at himself and nods as way to agree with me "Yeah, well, you're not flat chested anymore." He teases with a smile and my cheeks begin to heat up. I smack him on his arm as he laughs at me ,
"just get out"
"Hey I'm just saying" he shrugs and walks past me, and when he does, he leans towards my ear, "Happy birthday, Zi" and the door closes.