Chapter 7

"He's lucky we didn't have guests. Imagine what they would say! His little stunt would have embarrassed the family name!" Diane Muller said to her serious mother in law seated across the table from her. The café is noisy with machines brewing the coffee and chatter from other tables surrounding them, but the conversation between them is dead silent. Sonja Muller wasn't one for words and conversation. Instead she let her light green eyes do the talking. Whether it was an ice cold glare to an inappropriately dressed woman; a dismissive side-eye to end conversations or the closing of her eyes in irritation when she stitched a fabric crooked and she'd have to stitch it all over again. There was an air of mystery to her silence, but right now it seemed her daughter in law really needed her advice about her curious son.

Sonja always knew Henri was different. He wasn't like the other Afrikaans children, who absentmindedly followed orders and did what they were supposed to. Henri always questioned anything he didn't understand. And he refused to settle with an answer that didn't satisfy him. She remembers receiving phone calls in the middle of the day from Henri's school, telling her Henri was reported to the principal's office for arguing with a teacher in history class. It was always history class. He always called her because he knew his parents would have an absolute fit if they found out. And knowing his father worked in the apartheid government, Henri's trips to the principal's office would ruin his father's reputation. Little did Henri know, he was just like his grandmother when she was growing up .She too always wondered why whites and non-whites went to separate schools; why they sat on separate benches or why her housekeeper was dismissed before dark. But like Henri, she never got the answer she was looking for. Later on in life she witnessed the severe consequences of going against the apartheid government. Lives were lost, friendships and families were torn apart. Friend turned to enemy. And Sonja knew, if she said anything, felt anything, she'd be next on the wanted list. And she didn't want that for Henri.

"Leave it to me." Is all she said, Diane looked up from her coffee and smiled gratefully at her mother in law.

"Nobody else knows?" Sonja asked. Diane shook her head frantically.

"Oh God no. I wouldn't ruin your son's reputation like that."

"Or yours..." Sonja said bluntly as she sips on her tea. Diane's expression fell and she continued drinking her coffee.

After they had their coffee and tea, Diane drove Sonja back home.

"Will you join us for dinner?" She asked as Sonja got out of the car in front of her house. She nodded shortly, "I'll be there." Diane smiled brightly and waved goodbye at her mother in law and was gone.

                                                                                                 *

There was something really endearing about Madam Sonja. Maybe it was the genuine look in her eyes when she greeted me, or the sweet smile she gave me when I served her tonight's dinner, but I liked her. And so did Henri. The pair were in constant conversation at the dinner table, completely ignoring Mr and Mrs Muller, but they didn't seem to mind.

"So what's the next step, Henri?" Madam Sonja asked as I brought in the dessert from the kitchen.

"Not entirely sure yet, Ouma."

"I thought you said you wanted to be a doctor." Mrs Muller interjects.

"Doctor? He told me he wanted to be a lawyer." Mr Muller interjects too and the couple look at their son puzzled. Madam Sonja laughs softly and shakes her head.

 "Like I said, not entirely sure yet."

Madam Sonja pats his grandson's hand and smiles sympathetically. "Well, you have time to decide. And anyway, the worst kind of work is the kind you dread." she smiles at the rest of us, even at me and eats her dessert. The conversation was light after that. I noticed the bond Henri and Madam Sonja shared and it instantly reminded me of Mama and Senzo. That's what it was, Madam Sonja reminded me of Mama. soon dinner was over and it was time Mr and Mrs Muller took madam Sonja home.