Chapter 13

I try to keep my cool as I mop the floor whilst Henri and the policemen talk, attempting to mind my own business. "I don't know anyone by the name." Henri says, trying to sound assertive and calm at the same time, but I can hear the nerves in his voice. I continue to busy myself by mopping the floor, when someone's rock hard body shoves me into a wall, and his breathe brushes against my ear when a male voice says "You might not, but maybe she does." I wince in pain as the policeman pushes me harder against the wall, the front of my body pressing against it.

"The runaway had a bit of help trying to escape. A young black maid wearing a red overall, Mr Fourie described. She," the lead policeman points to me "looks to be the suspect we're looking for." the lead policeman said, and he walks towards me, leaning against the wall beside me. He smirks at the sight of me in pain, and his eyes scan me from head to toe.

"Where's the boy, maid?" the lethal tone in his voice sends chills down my spine and before I can protest, "She wouldn't know anything, Officer De Wet. She's been working here the whole day." I hear Henri's voice say.

"I believe I didn't ask you, boy." Officer De Wet hisses at Henri before he turns his attention back to me. "Tell us where the boy is."

"I don't know who he is." I squirm in pain. His icy grey eyes narrow, boring a hole into mine. He plays with the toothpick in between his teeth and turns to the rest of the policemen. "Raid the apartment." He orders and I hear thick, heavy boots search the apartment. Officer De Wet walks over to Henri, but I can't see them as the other policeman still has me pinned against the wall.

"You better watch what you say to me, boy." Officer De Wet says coldly, and my muscles tense at his words.

"You do know the consequences of defending another race, don't you?"

"I'm not defending anyone. I'm telling the truth."

"Then you also know not to lie to an officer."

"Why would I lie to you, knowing I'd have my arse in jail if I did?" Officer De Wet smiles mischievously.

"You're way too smart." He stood in front of Henri. Henri looked into the officer's eyes, trying not to let his courage waver. Henri was caught between a rock and a hard place, if he made any efforts to defend or protect her, the police would surely arrest the both of them, but at the same time, he didn't want to see her get hurt and the only way he could prevent that was to obey Officer De Wet and stand back. Officer De Wet stood way too close to Henri, making him feel uncomfortable, and he neared his head to Henri's ear.

"You see," He whispered sinisterly "I've tried asking nicely." This made Henri tense in his muscles, he had a feeling this was going in the direction he so desperately wanted to avoid.

"And as usual, these black folks always want things done the hard way." He pulled out his stick from his holster, and walks to Nolwazi, raising the thick black stick in the air. "So if you don't mind, I'd like to get down to business." He jerked his head at the policeman that pinned Nolwazi to the wall, ordering him to move aside. The policeman moved aside, and with that, Officer De Wet struck her on her back, a whimper escaping her lips and she fell to the floor.

"Now let's try this again." Officer De Wet said, "Where is Joseph!?"

"I told you, I don't-" Wham! Wham! Wham! He struck her again.

"Aaahhh!" she cried.

"It's not worth it!"

"Shut up, boy! Or I'll give you a hiding too."

"Go ahead." Henri challenged. Officer De Wet paused, and turned to Henri, a smirk spreading on his lips.

"I don't know if I like you for having the balls to say that to me, or that you really think you can take me on."