Chapter Twenty-Seven

author's note: hey everyone, i hope your year is going well as I'd hope and pray it is. I turned 21 years on the 4th of April :)  to be honest i don't feel any different, yet. but  know that i've accomplished many little things, but i look forward to completing this book this year. this month would mark the third year of writing this compelling (i hope so, anyway) story. i want it to be last and final year of writing the story and i want to complete it as i slowly transition to adulthood. but anyway, besides that i really enjoyed myself and remember that its not about how many friends you have, but rather who of them rightfully belong in your life for years to come. make sure that no matter what happens, those people will grow with you, stand with you and cherish you every step of the way. 

uh, about this chapter, i feel as though there were many directions this story could have gone, but as the writer the plot must make sense and sync well to be successful. anyway, i really appreciate the votes and comments i've been receiving regarding the previous chapters. i love how involved you all feel about the story, it surely brings me closer to being a better conveyer of stories. thank you for the support and i present Chapter Twenty-Seven :)

"Oh, dear." was all Madam Sonja uttered when Nolwazi told her what happened. her deepened frown and shake of her head put Nolwazi's mind at ease; she believed the story. the story that Mr Muller came home drunk and started a heated argument with his wife. what the argument was about, Nolwazi didn't know. Mr Muller became aggressive with his wife, and threatened to kill her if she told anyone about his gambling and alcohol addiction (whether that was true or not, it didn't matter if he was dead). Nolwazi attempted to help Mrs Muller but she refused, said it wasn't safe for her to be there and that she should leave; which lead to this moment. but the crucial question remained, where was Henri? 

"Well at least Henri wasn't there to see it." Madam Sonja said, she slowly stood up, her frail body making its way to the kitchen. Nolwazi watched as she struggled to balance the tea cup onto the plate, her hands were shaking. she immediately made way to assist her, "Here, let me." she said with a gentle smile, Madam Sonja returned the smile and walked back to her rocking chair in the cosy living room, when she sighed "I hope he is safe, though. Are you sure he didn't mention going out of town instead of coming to visit me?" she asked. 

"No, he didn't." Nolwazi said, approaching with the hot cup of Rooibos tea. "He said he'd visit you for a week or two." she shrugged.

"Thank you, dear." Madam Sonja said taking her tea, "but why would he lie? why would he disappear?" Nolwazi thought hard about what she wanted to say next but also, she needed some mantra to keep her from thinking Henri had actually left to Cape Town without her; and so she sat down across from Madam Sonja, contemplating her next move. "Henri did say that Bernard had disappeared, and that he was worried about him. maybe he'd gone to look for him." even though Bernard told Nolwazi he didn't want to be found, she hoped He was safe wherever he'd gone to, and that wherever Henri was he'd be safe as well. 

"Poor, Bernard. what happened to that boy is a real shame. but i didn't know that Henri was a close friend to the boy...i wonder where he is right now." Madam Sonja murmured. she grew concerned for Henri, and her daughter in-Law. Sonja always suspected her son's marriage to Diane wasn't perfect, truth be told, what marriage is perfect. what she wasn't aware of, was her son's drinking problem and gambling. of course, John was a private and prideful person who didn't want to admit to his faults nor never asked for help we he needed it. But had his mother known, or had his daughter in-law told Sonja, John would still be alive. and the maid, Maria, she was put in a rather terrifying position herself. the trauma of watching the couple fight, wanting to defend Diane and protect her was a very brave thing to do.and so Madam Sonja reached her hand out to hold the girl's hand and smiled softly, "I'm glad you're alright, dear."