Chapter Twenty-Six

author's note: hey everyone, hope you're all doing well. i've been working on the next few chapters for quite some time. it's been a struggle simply because i could manipulate the story in which ever way i please and i just need to be sure that the version i chose worked for the benefit of the storyline. anyway, i'd appreciate your thoughts as always. like i said, i don't bite and criticism only makes me a better writer :) 

anyway, i present to you Chapter Twenty-Six

***

"What have I done?!" I said in a panic, looking down at the figure that lay in a twisted manner at the bottom of the staircase, lifeless. "I've Killed him!" I couldn't breathe, the blood from my body draining in horror, in shock.

I'd just killed somebody.

Mrs Muller held me by my arms, holding me still from shivering. "Listen to me, okay? Breathe, you don't have much time. Take this," She grabbed my suitcase and placed it in my shaking hands, "There's a car waiting for you outside, it'll take you somewhere safe."

I frowned, wondering why she wasn't coming with me. "What about you?"

"Don't worry about me, I have a plan of my own." I couldn't argue with her, she turned around and walked down the stairs to where Mr Muller lay. I'd done it, I'd pushed him. I was frozen, watching her check his pulse to confirm his death; but I'd heard it. I'd heard that sickening crack. Maybe it was his neck? Couldn't be sure, but I'd heard it.

She approached me again, "You need to leave before the police get here." At the mention of the police the panic began and suddenly my body sprung into action when a knock on the door was heard. What was I to do? Run and hide? No, instead I stood there in confusion when it was Bernard who walked through the door.

"We need to leave, now!" he said, I frowned and glanced between the two of them as they spoke. "The police will be here any minute, I could hear the sirens on the way." He glanced at me, "Come on, we need to go." And he grabbed my arm, pulling me towards the direction of the door, but I held my ground and snatched myself from his grasp.

"No! What are you doing here?! What is he doing here?" I asked, demanding answers from either one of them.

"There's no time to explain. Just come with me or you'll go to jail." Jail?! I don't want to go to jail! But what about Mrs. Muller? What will she do to the body? Nobody would answer my question, and instead Bernard grabbed my arm and led me through the back door. We descended the stairs in a rush, skipping steps as we went down, passing the dead body that lay and soon we were out in the open, cold air of the night. We walked around to the front of the building, where to the left, a car was parked. I noticed a silhouette inside the car as I approached it. Bernard opened the back door and I entered. The silhouette beside me turned to face me, and I was surprised to see that it was Noah.

"Noah?" I sensed him smiling at the sight of me and when I felt the warmth of his hand intertwined with mine, I squeezed tightly.

"Hey, sweetheart. Let's get you out of here before the police catch up to you." And just then, Bernard sat in the driver's seat and the engine roared to life, before speeding off through the dark and quiet street. The police sirens could be heard in the distance.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were in Sandton." I said, referring to Noah. We laid low as Bernard drove, avoiding anyone that would see us.

"I was, but I figured I owe you for saving my life. Now I'm saving yours."

"But how did you know?" I asked, still confused. Noah hesitated to speak at first, when Bernard cut in. "Look, it's not up to us to explain everything. We're just as clueless as you are, we'll just have to wait for answers."

"Did she make a deal with you too?" I asked, and the silence that followed answered my question.

By now, the police would have arrived at the scene. Would Diane have already disposed the body? Would she tell them where I was? No. she would tell them that I was sent home. Would they come after me? I wasn't sure, but the deal was to stay put and quiet. I just hoped Henri would understand that what I did was for us; that's if I'd ever see him again. It was dark out, and I grew curious as to where we were headed.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"To Madam Sonja," Bernard replied, Silence filled the car. Although I couldn't see the worry on his face in the dark, I could feel Noah's shaking hand against mine. He too, was scared for him and Bernard. What we did, was criminal; the kind that would result in execution. I could sense the fear in the silence that filled the car as we drove, and I could tell from the reflection of Bernard's blue eyes in the side mirror, that his senses were heightened in fear.

"But, Henri will be there. He'll be suspicious of what happened back there." I said, the panic was evident in my voice. I looked to Noah, who showed a sympathetic smile and gently squeezed my hand.

"You can't tell him the truth, you know that right? stick to the story Mrs. Muller told you." Somehow, that sounded like the worst idea ever, but if I was to protect myself and the others, ia hd to lie to him and made me sick inside. It wasn't long before the car stopped, and parked outside a quaint looking home. It was very much lively further down the road, several houses were lit and dogs were barking in the distance, but there was no one in sight. I sat there in silence, hesitant to get out of the car and face Madam Sonja and Henri.

"Here we are." Bernard said, I could feel his gaze from the rearview mirror. I sighed and shifted toward him from the back, my chin resting on his seat.

"You know he's been worried sick about you, wondering why you'd disappeared..." I said softly, I wasn't sure if Bernard wanted to be found and my question was answered when he shook his head.

"There's a reason why I left. there was, nothing here for me anymore. I have no family, no friends. Because of what I am, nobody wants to be associated with me." he sighed sadly, and I reached out to hold his hand. "It isn't his time to know yet, you understand?" he said and I nodded.

"I understand." I sighed and turned to Noah. "Where will you go?" I asked.

"It's best you don't know. But know that I'm safe and doing well." He smiled softly. Looked over to the house, dreading what was to come and I took a deep breath. I stepped out of the car and took my suitcase from the boot of the car and soon I stood at the side of car and leaned in. "I guess this is goodbye."

Noah nodded from the window, "For now. Hang in there, okay?" he smiled. I nodded and waved goodbye as the car roared to life and drove off. It was late into the night, so I dint't expect anyone to be up at this time when I knocked on the door. it took a while before anyone could answer the door, and eventually Madam Sonja stood at the door, surprised.

"Maria?" she said in confusion. "What are you doing here?" she stepped out of the house looking around for anyone else.

"There was an accident-at-at the apartment-" I said in a shaky voice. The words just weren't coming out the way I'd wanted. Madam Sonja brought me into a hug, "It's okay, come inside before you freeze to death." I followed her inside the house. It was small, but cosy to live in. Madam Sonja was in the kitchen fixing a cup of tea for me, when she turned around to face me. "Tell me what happened. Is Henri alright?" she asked.

I paused and frowned in confusion. "Henri? I thought he was here with you..." I trailed off, the confusion on her face told me everything. Henri lied to me, he wasn't here. He'd left, and a part of me didn't want to believe he'd left to Cape Town wihtout me. He promised me he wouldn't go unless I was ready to. I met Madam Sonja's eyes and took a deep breath, and told her what happened.