CHAPTER 8 | THE DAY

i woke up to the loud beep of my alarm clock. i woke up, stretching, staring out the window as sunlight peeked in through the blinds. i turned to my clock. 7:30? why was my alarm set so early?

i groaned, tossing my blanket back over me as i went back to bed. suddenly, it hit me.

"OH SHIT!"

i sat up, quickly making up my bed, (to be honest i just threw the sheets forward) and running to the bathroom. i brushed my teeth, washed my face and did my hair.

i knew it was chilly in Brighton, so i had packed a few hoodies and sweaters to stay warm. however, it was summer and tommy had told me it wasnt as cold.

i quickly did my makeup, which was basic. a bit of eyeliner and basic blush. i never wore much makeup, but i wanted to look presentable. i was gonna meet my best friends, and i wanted to make a good first impression. in person, at least.

i rushed downstairs, almost missing a step.

"someones excited," my mom smiled, looking up from the bowl of pancakes she was making.

"yep," I sat down at the table, stuffing a small pancake into my mouth. "i am actually,"i pulled down the sleeve of my flannel and looked at my watch. 8:00.

"we're leaving at 8:30," my mom said, reading my mind. "you can stay there for about 45 minutes since the flights leaving at 9:45 and the drive is half an hour."

"thanks mom." i finish my third mini pancake and hug her before i hurry back upstairs to finalize everything.

charger, laptop, hairbrush, i thought to myself as i checked my bag.

"PEYTON!" my mom called. "we're leaving!"

"alright mom, im coming!"

i loaded my luggage into the trunk and hurried back to the front of the car. as i sat down in my seat, my mom turned to me from the drivers seat. "got everything?"

"yep!" i said, closing the door. my mom nodded, smiling and started the car. i skimmed through the radio stations, checking what was playing, until i finally settled on one of my favorite songs, crash my car by coin.

i looked out the window, smiling as the song played.

Walk in like a wrecking ball,
The way she move makes you miserable.
All eyes on the golden girl,
She's gonna tell ya, gonna tell ya
Gonna tell ya that you're too sweet.

i sighed, both of happiness and fear. i was gonna meet my best friends. it was so crazy, something out of a book. but then again, what if they didnt like me? what if i ruined some of the best friendships I had?

"peyton, we're here." my mom said. i turned to her, smiling.

nah, i thought to myself. these were my best friends. I had only known them for a couple of months, but i felt like I could tell them anything.

"alright, ill go get my bag." my mom parked the car and i climbed out and walked over to the back.

by the time i had gotten my bag, my mom was already waiting for me. "you ready?" she gave me a soft smile.

"more than ready." i nodded as we walked to the airport. we made it to airport security before my mom stopped me, handing me my passport.

"well, this is where we part ways." she put her hands on my shoulders before pulling me into a hug. "stay safe honey. i love you."