Chapter Seventeen

Unlocking the door to his room, Gundham eased inside with a small bowl full of fruit and vegetables for his Devas to eat before they fell asleep for the day. He only really came back to his room because the other students were staring at him and he just didn't want to deal with them. Though, he couldn't blame them for staring all too much - he was a mess. His hair hadn't been properly fixed in days since he started using a cane to get around. Thankfully, Angie had fixed up the branch into something more suitable and easier to manoeuvre, but that didn't help with the practicality of walking around with a hole in your leg.
Tanaka sat down on his bed as he carefully unraveled his scarf, careful not to unclip the broach attached to it by accident. The Devas were quick to climb out onto the bed beside him and begin feasting on the contents in the bowl. He found immense comfort in just being able to stare at them and tend to their needs. Something about their companionship always brought joy to his mind, he was honestly a bit surprised Kiyotaka hadn't tried to take them away from him yet, but he rather not jinx it. After all, he often felt like they were all he had left.
Gundham quietly watched the Devas for a while until they finished having their fill on the food. He ate whatever was left himself before gathering the small creatures into his scarf and wrapping it back around his neck. The room's door soon opened as he walked out. He planned on returning the bowl back into the kitchen, but stopped in his tracks when he spotted Kazuichi.
"Greetings." He spoke, his tone cold yet soft. Waiting for a reply, he leaned against his cane to relieve some of the pressure in his leg. The mechanic's attention instantly shot towards he, freezing his train of thought for a moment before he gave a nervous laugh. How many times was that now that he was just staring at Tanaka's dorm?
"Hi-." Kazuichi gave him a smile that quickly faded as he turned away. He hated having to do that but what else was he supposed to do? He didn't want Kiyotaka to be mad at him again but he also hated the idea of upsetting Gundham. He couldn't get their conflicting words out of his mind, and he couldn't decide how he felt about it all.
Soda stood there for a moment, glancing back at him before continuing down that hall with stiff shoulders. He couldn't describe how bad he felt just walking away, but it was the best thing he could think of. Avoidance was the easiest option. At least for him.
Gundham tilted his head in confusion at how odd Kazuichi was acting. Was it because of the situation in the bathroom? Honestly, he felt as if he should apologise for that predicament. It didn't really come to him until he recalled how Kazuichi was practically stuck between him and Kiyotaka. He knew that demon held a facade around the other students.
Speaking of other students...where was Mondo? He was yet to see him at all as of late.
"Are you poisoned by the song of the demon siren?" Gundham asked, his gaze sharpening as he watched the mechanic. Was he seriously still conflicted with what Tanaka considered a hell spawn of a man? Did that moment of vulnerability in the bathroom mean nothing to him?

Kazuichi paused, gripping his hands around himself. Somehow he felt even worse now.
"...He doesn't like me talking to you..." He eventually said, not even turning around to look at him. What more could he say? He didn't want to risk Ishimaru going off at him again, but he also wasn't about to cut the connection between him and the breeder. It'd be a while before he'd be able to do that. Why couldn't things just be easier?
"I-It's okay! Nothing too bad, just..." his voice trailed off, scratching at his arms as he tried to calm his mind. "Please don't involve yourself. You're already hurt..."
I see.
Gundham silently walked over to him, the tapping of the cane echoing through the hall, the sound alone making every muscle in the mechanic's tense up even more. He stopped as soon as he himself stood idle in front of Kazuichi.
"I'm exhausted of constant preaching, but I shall warn you once more," the breeder began, "if someone is willing to harm a so stated 'loved one', then they themselves truly don't care for said individual. Yet...you still choose to pick your battles with Ishimaru."
This is just getting pathetic by this point. Why do I still bother with him?
"Go play hound to master if you so wish, but I will not fool myself with the persuading any longer."
"...you really don't get how hard that is..." Soda mumbled, lowering his head as his grip around himself tightened. Why couldn't he have just been left alone for the rest of eternity? Better yet, why couldn't someone just murder him at this point? It'd be easier than having to live with this. "If I leave, he'll just do it again. Especially if I leave to be on your side." Kazuichi let out a shaky breath, turning away as he continued. "I-I get that it's bad but it's not that bad! I can't talk to you about it cause you do-...this! I would talk to Mondo but...I don't know what happened after he told me to leave!" He swallowed hard, pressing his palms into his eyes. "I can't do it!" Soda then collapsed into a ball on the ground, his hands hooked over his head. "I can't upset either of you! Just- just hurt me and leave, please, I-I can't deal with this..." Gundham stared at him a moment, unsure of how exactly he was suppose to approach the situation.
"...I'm not going to harm you, mon amour." He softly sighed, pitying the poor boy. He reached out and grabbed one of Kazuich's hands, gently pulling him up onto his feet and into an embrace. Soda stood stiff within the hug, just staring at the other's chest as he was leaned against it. He honestly didn't understand anything the breeder was feeling - wasn't he just mad at him a second ago? He didn't object the contact, however he didn't return it either. The two sat there for a moment, the mechanic shaking within his arms
"Come along. We can talk where there are no cameras." Beginning to walk along, he kept his hand wrapped and intertwined with Kazuichi's as he made his way down the hallways to that one room that seemingly lacked any microphones or monitors. The breeder had noted its existence a while ago - it seemed to have once been a simple teacher's office so he had no idea why it would be the one place to lack surveillance. A part of him honestly wondered if it was some kind of sick fantasy of Ishimaru's.
Soda just let himself be dragged along. Something was telling him that he should just pull away and leave, but he honestly didn't want to. He just stared at their hands as they walked, unsure of how to take the gesture.