5.

April 2012

It was raining cats and dogs when Pia arrived with her father in Sarno. She had to wake up early in the morning, but seeing Charles was worth it. Pia was sad that she missed yesterday's heats, but Charles happily told her everything that happened and also that he would be on the pole for tomorrow's race.

"Where is Max starting?" Anthonie asked curiously another Dutchman.

"Second, behind some Frenchman. To be honest, I don't-"

"He's Monegasque," Pia interrupted Jos, annoyed.

"Yeah, whatever. Max had tough luck yesterday, but he's a fighter and managed to be second." You forget to mention that Charles had tough luck as well, Pia thought.

"He has always been. I'm sure this will be an easy win for him." Pia's father said, making her even more annoyed. She knew that Max was his favourite over here.

"I wouldn't bet on it," Pia whispered to herself. She knew Max for some time now to tell that he wasn't patient enough when he was stuck behind someone. She was almost that Max wouldn't finish that race.

"Did you say something?" Jos asked her spitefully. He let her know that he heard her comment and that he wouldn't tolerate things like that, so Pia decided to be quiet till the beginning of the race for her own sake.

She was excited to see a fight between Max and Charles on the track because she knew that they were exceptional drivers. Charles had a better start than the young Dutchman, but Max was catching up quickly. He was always excellent in wet conditions, but unfortunately, he was also eager. He tried to overtake Charles around outside in the sixth lap, but the track was still wet, and he slipped to the barriers. The impact wasn't, fortunately, that big, but he couldn't continue. Max got out of his kart pissed off and probably blamed Charles for this, but deep down, he had to know it was his fault.

With Charles' biggest opponent out of the race, it was a pretty easy win for him. It didn't take long before he was lifting his trophy above his head, looking at Pia. She finally approached Charles when her father left to talk with some German. They both seemed to be engaged in the conversation, so Pia knew Anthonie wouldn't be back any time soon.

"I'm so proud of you," Pia whispered in his ear when they were hugging tightly. Charles' race suit was still soaked wet, but she didn't mind in the slightest.

"Thank you. I had a good motivation." He winked at her before pressing his lips against hers. Those two shared a sweet little innocent kiss that made everyone around them soften a bit.

"I should maybe go check Max. He's gonna be definitely annoyed by you," Pia laughed. She knew Max for some time now to say he got angry quickly.

"I know, but it wasn't my fault." He said. He didn't care at all whether Max would blame him. "Don't be away for too long."

"I won't," she said and placed a quick kiss on his cheek before leaving.

In order to get to trailers, Pia had to go to another side of the paddock. At first, she saw Max and wanted to approach him, but then she noticed the older Verstappen. He seemed really angry, so Pia stayed hidden behind one of the trailers. She didn't want to be in the company of angry Jos.

"Anthonie was here to watch you win this race. He was here because he thought you're worthy of getting under his wings, but guess what, you once again proved that you're useless." Jos was yelling at his son. He was disappointed in him. Why could he be patient at least once? Pia's father was here to check out the young Dutchman. He was following him for some time, and he wanted to sign him, but there was one problem. Max was clearly one of the greatest talents in motorsport ever, but he was too harsh and impatient, and Anhonie was only interested in signing him only when he would be mature.

"But-" Max wanted to defend himself, but he already knew it wouldn't change a thing.

"No buts," he said venomously and slapped his son. "It was your mistake, and you know it. You're a failure, just like your mother. It was pathetic to think you could be like me and race in F1." This man was wicked, and Pia wondered why. She always tried to find something positive, even in the biggest villain, but she couldn't find it in Jos.

"I'm sorry," Max apologised. He was truly sorry for today. He would do everything differently now, but it was too late. He couldn't turn back time to please his father.

"I cannot even look at you. You're fucking pathetic." Those were the last words that older Verstappen said before leaving his son alone. Pia took this opportunity and stepped out of her hiding spot. Max had his hand placed on his red cheek, probably to make it hurt less. His eyes were red and puffy from crying, and his confidence was shattered thanks to the older Dutchman. "Are you okay?" Pia asked, causing Max to wipe his tears away. His father taught him that crying is a weakness, and he couldn't show that he was weak in front of anyone.

Pia sat next to him and put her hand on his cheek. She always thought that having cold hands was annoying, but now she found it useful for the first time in her life.

"Shouldn't you be with your perfect little boyfriend? You two seemed to enjoy celebrating the victory he didn't deserve," Max didn't care so much about the whole racing incident. He was well aware that it was his mistake after all. The real reason why he was upset was that he had been jealous of Charles ever since he had seen you two together. He thought he would be to one Pia would celebrate with, but it turned out he was terribly wrong.

"Oh, c'mon. You're angry, I get it, but I'm not Charles, Max. So, don't be petulant of me. I came here as a friend," she defended herself. She came here to make sure Max was alright and not because she wanted to fight. All she wanted right now was to help him.

"I know," he nodded and sighed. He never intended to be rude to Pia.

"How long has been this going on, Max?" There was silence for a bit before Pia dared to ask Max this question. They both knew what she was talking about.

"Didn't you notice? He's like this from the beginning," he said. He was actually surprised that she didn't notice before. Jos didn't care if someone saw him talking to his son like this. It was something that was happening a lot in karting. At the end of the day, they were teenagers racing. How else do you want to get them to do what they need to do? Everyone thought it was in Jos' best intentions.

Obviously, he didn't hit Max in front of anyone, but at this point, Max thought nobody would care anyway. It was frustrating to listen to race after race that he's this great just because of his father. They were complimenting Jos on the success that he achieved with Max. Maybe he taught Max a lot, but at what cost? No one seemed to realise that.

"Did you try to talk about it with someone?" Who could he possibly talk with? His mother was afraid of Jos. His sister was too young to help him, and also Max should be the one protecting her, not the other way around.

"I can't. One bad word against him would mean saying goodbye to my dream, Pia. He's in control, and he's aware of it," Max replied. Even if he wanted to talk about it, he couldn't. Max's life and career depended on him. He was the one who financed this all. He was the one building him a go-kart, repairing engines, and going around Europe with him. It didn't matter how much Max hated him because he needed him.

"It's just three months ago when he was arrested on attempted murder charges. He's clearly not a good person to have around." But Jos was lucky, and his ex-girlfriend withdrew the charge. Pia believed she didn't do it based on her opinion, but because Jos probably threatened her or paid her to shut her mouth.

"I don't think you understand it. I need him, and that's it. There's no other solution," Max said and left Pia alone with her thoughts. It was a cruel reality that she had to face. Not everything can be solved, and not everything is perfect. She lived in her fairyland, where everyone was happy, but in reality, there were clearly people who weren't felicitous, and Max was one of them.