Chapter 19

{Zayn}

"Zayn?" I heard an almost silent whisper next to me and I turned my head to face her. Immediately I was greated with her vibrant eyes, glassed over with a layer of water that I knew had been the result of tears.

"Hey, you. You're awake." I smiled and pecked her forehead. Payton smiled and rolled out of bed.

"I know this sounds bad, but do you mind if I go talk to Niall? It's only fair." I tried to hide my sudden hurt before it became to obvious.

"Of course not. I'll let you get ready." I pecked her cheek before getting up and walking out of the bedroom.

I didn't really know what kind of feelings she had for Niall. Payton has always been somewhat reserved, so I didn't expect her to come out and tell me anything any time soon. I don't really know if I'd be able to bear with the pain if she had feelings for my best mate.

I heard the pattering of the water starting from Payton's shower so I wandered down to her kitchen. On my way, I glanced out the front bay window, only to be greeted with a pair of vibrant blue eyes. Niall stationed himself on the bench out in the yard, for God only knows how long.

The glass door slid open with a slight nudge, and I made my way to sit beside him. The blonde boy looks up at me with tired eyes and by that point I knew he had been here a while.

"She's getting ready to come talk to you." I deadpanned.

"Is she?" Niall loosened up a bit and began to night his fingernails.

"Yeah. I think she cares about you." I sighed before running my fingers through my hair.

"Why did you do it? Why did you just leave her here like that?" Niall's tone was more questioning than threatening.

"I have no idea, but by the time I realized I made a mistake it was too late so I just tried to move on with my life."

"That's not good enough." And with that, Niall left his spot next to me on the bench and walked off into the morning air.

***

{Payton's POV}

The hot water felt good on my cold skin. After twenty long minutes, I shut the nozzle off and found myself putting on a pair of floral shorts and a blue tank top.

On my bedside table I noticed my cell phone buzzing incredulously. Rolling my eyes, I picked up my phone and noticed I had twenty nine text messages from Niall and Harry. I sighed and allowed myself to read through them.

From: Me

To: Niall

Hey, can we meet up to talk?

Within seconds, I received a reply accepting my offer. I felt a swoop in my stomach from his reply. I began fiddling with my phone for a few moments before I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

Slowly, the white door slid open against the carpet and blonde streaks came into my view.

"Zayn let me in. I hope that's fine?" The gentle touch to his town made me whimper. My face got hot as a blush crept up my neck.

"That's okay." I took a seat on the bed next to me and before I knew it a hand rested itself on my knee. I flinched before relaxing a little. My breath was uneasy and I knew it was noticeable.

"How have you been?" Niall was the first to break the awkward silence that wafted between the two of us. I sighed and allowed myself to crack a slight smile.

"Every day gets easier." Niall nodded as though he understood, even though there was no possible way he could.

"Do you want to go get some coffee?" Niall gestured towards the door. I hesitated.

"Maybe another time? Honestly I just want to stay inside today." I thought I saw hurt flash between his eyes but he hid it quickly.

Before I knew it, my hand found his and he intertwined our fingers. We sat like that for a while, just silent. The only sound that was noticeable was the steady pace of our breathing.

"Have I told you before that when you smile, it makes you look even more beautiful?" I hadn't noticed, but I guess I was looking down at our fingers and smiling. I blushed a dark shade of red before turning away.

I let go of his hand.

"Hey, come here." I hadn't noticed but small tears were falling down my face.

Niall grabbed my wrists and turned me around into his chest.

"I'm not gonna let go." He hugged me tight while I silently cried. I smiled because every part of me wanted him to hold me forever.