Chapter 14

{Zayn's POV}

I stood there motionless as I saw the confusion sink into her eyes. I stared at her, not knowing what to say. She obviously didn't want to see me. I had hurt her so bad earlier. When I found out about her accident, I immediately ran through the doors of my mother's home and drove off to the hospital. As soon as I spotted the two boys with their heads down, I sprinted past them into the room they were seated outside of. That's when I saw her sleeping.

Well, I thought she was sleeping. Obviously I was mistaken.

Her eyes were glazed over and she looked worn out. Something about her hair made her seem so fragile, almost as if she was as thin as paper. A soft pink tone blossomed on her cheeks when we made eye contact.

"Hey.." I trailed off while holding her gaze.

"Hi." She said abruptly. My heart sank, but then I realized that our last conversation was when Payton found out I cheated on her.

"Are you still mad at me?" I asked while slowly moving my gaze from her eyes to the ceiling fan.

"I don't even know you, why would I be mad at you?" She asked.

I froze and felt like everything had stopped in time. What?

Did she just say she doesn't know who I am?

*** 

{Payton's POV}

I laid there motionless, staring into the dark brown eyes of the boy staring back at me. Our gaze was electrifying, almost as if there were giant magnets bringing our eyes together.

"You don't know who I am?" The dark haired boy whispered. I studied his face as hurt flashed through his eyes. I bit my lip and winced.

"No, should I?" The mystery boy looked at me in pain. His brown orbs glazed over and his cheeks flushed with a pink tone. My eyes followed his fingers as they ran through his dark hair.

"Uhh... Well..." His voice trailed off almost as if he was debating what to say next.

"What is it?" I blurted out. I was getting tired of everybody acting so weird. Especially all of these strangers.

"Payton, I-" Right as the boy was about to say something he was cut off by the hospital room door opening abruptly.

"Zayn?! What are you doing?!" The curly haired boy I remembered as Harry walked into my line of vision. I immediately wanted to slap him. All I wanted to do at that moment was hear what the mysterious boy had to say.

"Well since you didn't call me, I figured I should come see Payton by myself." The boy named Zayn snapped.

"Did you stop to think that maybe I didn't want you here?!" Harry yelled back.

I sat in silence while biting my nails. The argument went on for a few moments and I caught bits and pieces of things like "cheated" and "boyfriend" and "Perrie." Of course, none of this made any sense to me. It seemed as if the boy named Zayn had a girlfriend and cheated on her with someone named Perrie. My head started to pound from all of the noise and before I knew it there were hot tears streaming down my pale cheeks.

"Can you both just stop yelling?!" I yelled over their voices. Harry looked over at me and an eery silence fell over the room.

"I'm sorry Payton." The boy pushed his curls out of his face and walked over to me.

"It's okay I'm just confused. And my head hurts." Harry chuckled and took a seat in the chair next to my bed.

"How about we start by telling you a few basics." Zayn said while taking the seat on the other side of the bed.