Chapter 13

{Payton's POV}

My eyes fluttered open as the bright lights ahead of me filled my vision causing me to shake.  I tried to turn my head only to realize it was held in place by a brace.  Beads of sweat were beginning to form on the edge of my hairline and soon enough they started to drip down my face.  I felt like I was in a pot of boiling water. 

"Payton?" I heard a husky British accent greet my ears. It was a male - that's all I knew.  I tried to look around to see who the speaker was, but my body was frozen in place.  My insides were about to burst at the seems but I couldn't move at all.  I was frozen.

"Payton?! Are you awake?" I felt the same boy grab my hand desperately.  My body immediately tensed up at his touch, and I began to feel frightened.  My body started to shake and with every ounce of energy I had left in my body I snatched my hand away from him.

"Payton, it's me.  It's Harry." Harry? Who is Harry?

I crinkled up my brow in confusion.  I let out a deep breath I didn't realize I was holding in.  The boy walked into my sight of vision.  His eyes were beat red and his cheeks were stained with tears.  I could tell this boy had been crying, but I had no idea why.  I immediately felt a pang of sorrow stab me in the chest at the sight of this boy crying.  I wanted to help him.  I wanted to make him feel better.

"Harry?" I whispered.  The curly-haired boy's face lit up immediately at the sound of my voice.  I sounded wounded.  I knew I was in a hospital, and I knew that my whole body ached, but I had no idea why or what from. 

"Yeah, Pay, it's me.  I'm so glad you're awake."  Harry wiped away a tear quickly before it rolled down to his chin.  

"Who are you?" I immediately knew that my words had hurt him by the look of pure pain the was plastered all over his shapely face.

***

{Harry's POV}

I stood there, motionless.  I was staring at my hopeless cousin, while she had no idea who I was.  All I wanted to do was kick a deep hole into the wall behind me, but I knew I couldn't do that.  Not if I wanted to keep Payton from feeling scared.

I can still hear the sound of metal colliding with metal and the crunch of the car she was driving.  

*

"Louis?! Is that Payton?!?!"  I yelled immediately after seeing the silver Honda smash into the front end of an oncoming green Jeep Liberty.  The Doncaster boy immediately snapped his head back up into the view of the windshield.  I knew he was thinking the same thing as me by the desperate look on his face.  We both knew that the car had been Payton's.

"Pull over!"  I yelled frantically as I unhooked my seatbelt and opened the door.  The car was still in motion but I didn't care.  Apparently Louis didn't either because a few moments later, the boy followed me down the street. 

After a few seconds of jogging, the disgusting pile of crushed metal layed in front of us on the street.  Cars had stopped in all directions, and the distant sound of an ambulence could be heard from a few blocks away.  

I leant down onto the concrete, hoping that I could see something through the smashed windows.  The first thing I was greeted with was a gray sweatshirt with the last name 'Malik' on the back.  My first instinct was to chuck the sweatshirt into the nearest puddle.  Louis stared at me in annoyance and picked it up.  I continued to scrummage through the mess of the vehicle for the next few moments.

That's when I saw her.  Payton was laying there with her seatbelt on, and her head smashed into the cracked windshield.  A seat layed on top of her chest and I knew she wasn't breathing.  My heart rate began to pick up as I began to panic.  I felt someone grab me from the arm and pull me back.  The last thing I remember was the ambulence driving away with my desperate cousin inside holding on by a thread.

*

"Harry, who are you?"  I heard Payton's familiar voice float through the air to my ears.  I shook my head, trying to get the memory out of my mind.  I stared back at the girl staring at me.  Her big brown eyes were glistening with tears and confusion and I felt terrible.  How was I supposed to be the one to break the news to her?  She obviously didn't remember.

The doctor had told us all that this was a possibility. 

"Hey, Payton.  I'm Harry Styles.  I'm your cousin."  I watched her closely as the words I had just spoken sunk in.  I could feel her relax in the atmosphere of the dull hospital room. 

"Where's my mother?"  I winced.  I knew Payton saw it, too. "What?  Is something wrong?"

I shook my head her immediately. "No, not at all.  Your Mum is right outside." 

I walked out of the room quickly, in search of my Aunt Grimmy.  I saw her sitting in the waiting room next to Louis.  Neither one of us had called any of the other boys yet.  At this point, I felt terrible for not informing Zayn, but I felt like he didn't deserve to know right now.

"Aunt Grimmy? Payton's awake.  She asked to see you.  She doesn't remember me, though."  I looked down at the gray and white tiled flooring and sighed.  I felt her hand rest gently on my back as she tried to comfort me.  That didn't last long considering she was off to see her daughter.

My Aunt Grimmy was doing alright, for now.  The doctor's say she's in something called Remition.  I'm still not quite sure what that means.

***

{Payton's POV}

I waited patiently after Harry left the room.  Something about that boy felt warm and welcoming.  He said he was my cousin, which made sense.  As soon as I saw him I knew there was a connection there.  Not the type where I felt attracted to him or anything, just a connection.

I rolled over to face the window oppisite the door.  I heard somebody walk into the room but I didn't turn around immediately.  I assumed it was my mother.  I knew she would be able to explain things to me.  

"Payton?"  I froze.  The voice sent chills down my spine.  I knew that voice from somwhere.  I didn't know where, exactly.  I turned around to see the face of the boy that had just spoken my name.  I was greeted with a pair of deep brown eyes.  I couldn't take my eyes off of them.

I stared at the beautiful boy next to my bed.  What could he possibly want with me? 

As soon as he flashed a smile, I knew that this was the boy I was in love with.  However, I didn't even know his name.

*

Hey everybody!! Sorry if this chapter is kind of boring but I felt like updating for you. PLEASE keep voting and commenting on this story.  It makes me feel happy inside. :)) Hahaha okay well I hope you enjoyed!! Love you all. :)