+ nineteen

"you feeling alright?"

ted slumps beside me on the towel as we look across the glimmering ocean. i bury my feet in the powder sand and look around at all the palm trees and la beach-goers as the steady waves crash in a calming rhythm. it's warm, not hot, and the sun is lowering itself gradually towards the ocean. i can hear people laughing and screaming but the most prominent sound of all is those waves. due to the heat, i'm just sat in a swimsuit with a baby tee and shorts over the top.

"i think i'll be okay."

"schlatt told me about the love or host. ending aside, people really enjoyed the little fights between you guys. he said his friend mizkif of something thought you had lots of potential as a streamer."
"really?" i laugh, "that was like my worst stream ever."
he gets a knowledgeable look, "if you're talented, even your worst performances are gold."
"learn that in film school?"
" ... yeah" he laughs. "find schlatt though, i think you guys should talk about your career."
"okay boss." i get up and put my sunglasses on to look around.

schlatt is there, returning and finishing off a churro from a nearby stand. he flops his little australian sunhat on the towel.
"yo we were just looking for you, i'm gonna take a dip." ted jumps up and heads over to see charlie in the waves. these three seem to be getting closer within the lunch club.

i sit beside schlatt as he plops down and flips up his sunglasses. "you good?"
"well aren't you just the picture of a suburban white boy on holiday?"
"this is why you don't get any of my churro." he licks his fingers and wipes them on his shorts.
"nasty."

"what do you want?" he asks grudgingly.
"well ted said you have streamer friends who think i have potential. and i wanted to say thank you for giving me openings during the stream."
"yeah. i'm always babysitting you." he remarks.
"well since that violated the agreement, i get to spend a little time not avoiding you."
he looks at me for a second and then returns his gaze to the ocean ahead of us. "for one night only?"
"i guess."

"how are you doing then? with life? i dunno." he crosses his legs and slouches forward.
"i think im almost ready to go into streaming. like, for real now. i mean i've already gained way more viewers and they actually have started making fan accounts and stuff so i'm gonna assume i'm on my way up." i respond slowly.
"yeah, i'm pretty certain you'll be living off the money soon. it's ironic, i'm thinking of taking a break from streaming." he lets out a short breath, almost a chuckle.
"oh yeah?"
"yeah. where are you gonna go after la though? i'll be heading back home to nyc."
"well i've been looking at houses in austin. most streamers seem to be there and i think it'd be good for my career. plus, i have family down there so it won't be too scary." i watch the waves crash over the two in the water.
"yeah. austin's nice."

i think that's the first conversation we've ever had that hasn't dissolved into argument at some point.

"hey, come in the water with me." i smack his arm.
"ouch!" he furrows his eyebrows and rubs the spot. some encouragement is needed.
"come on! i want to swim a little more."
"swimming is gay."
"and gay is okay. come in the water, this is the one time we aren't avoiding each other and i need to distract myself from being rejected publicly."
he sighs deeply and then stands up.
"is that a yes?"
i watch as he just launches himself towards the water and into the waves.
"hey wait up!" i pull off my shirt and shorts and follow him in.

"god it's so warm!"
"huh?" he calls back to me and waits for me to catch up.
"i said it's so warm! i'm not used to it."
"yeah i rarely get to swim." he plods through the water to get out deeper and i hurry along behind him.

"alright, going under in three, two, one."
we both dive into a big frothy waves and all i hear is bubbles and crashing.
we explode out of the water afterwards, wiping our eyes and pushing out hair back. charlie whoops from a few meters left of us, "WOO! FULLY SUBMERGED!"

i laugh and start swimming out deeper, "schlaggy look!"
he turns around, pushing his hair out of his face. i jump up and dive deep under a wave and stay under for as long as possible. my hands help me along the sandy seabed for a few seconds as another wave passes and feel a leg under the water. i pop up and am met with schlatt's worried face.
"holy shit i thought you were drowning!"
"no no! i can just hold my breath for ages. i used to do lung exercises at the hospital to help strengthen these shitty airbags i have." i chuckle breathlessly.
"are you gonna be good swimming this much? you're already panting."
"i'll be good. come on lazy bones." i drag him into the waves and dive under some more.

"so you're feeling okay-"
"huh?" i call back to him breathlessly, wiping the seawater from my eyes.
"you're feeling okay about minx?" he says loudly, swimming over.
"i'll be okay. we're better being friends anyways."
"no hard feelings?"
"none." i shake my head and wade over to him.
"you know i never knew you also liked g-"
"wave!" i grab his arm and we duck under a massive curling wave that rushes past us and pushes against my face.

as we pop up and he wipes his eyes, i skim my hand across the water and it sprays him in the face. "you fucking-"
"what are you gonna do? be a misogynist?"
"yeah i hate women! you especially!" he grins and smacks his hand onto the water. i cackle and swim away quickly as he keeps trying to get me with water. before long, i come across ted. "dinner soon guys! we'd better get out!" he waves me over. i hold a thumbs up in the air and get schlatt to come too.

"check out that sunset." i point behind us and stare at the orange sky reflecting on the glassy waves as we wade through the shallower water.
"even the sky here is ridiculously beautiful. la, man." schlatt laughs tiredly.
"this was fun though. you're becoming less of an asshole."
"it's just a front. deep down i'll always be asshole new yorker."
"it's your choice, schlaggy." i pat his back, "your choice."