twenty five +

"hey? y/n? hey?"

"mmh ..." i groan and cough myself awake. we're driving along in her car, moving pretty quickly. she seems worried.

"you passed out on your carpet y/n .. i don't think you're gonna be able to come to the party. we're on our way to hospital." she runs though everything like a trained paramedic.
"okay .. thank you maya. you're too nice." i remark weakly, breathless despite being barely awake.
"don't thank me! we gotta protect you, who else would be the mom friend in our irl streams." she chuckles.

i smile and look down at the little blanket over me, breathing like i've been for a run. "this is mizzy's. his intro blanket."
"yeah, it's the first one i could grab. he's literally the dumbest guy in the world. i told him i was going to get you and he was like 'what if she's dead' like what the fuck matt?" she laughs.
i sniff and snicker, "omg .."
"freaked me the hell out too. i was probably speeding on my way to yours."
"aw maya .." i pant, still struggling to catch my breath.
"he's so stupid honestly. he's had to tweet that you won't be on his stream and twitter is in uproar."
"i am chat's favourite." i speak with a smile, fondly thinking of how nice chat is to me.

"did your chat hear our phone call?"
"no it's cool. only matt, connor, his roommate and i know." she assures me, bringing my blanket up to my shoulders again with her free hand.
"why his roommate? that's so random .."
"apparently he knows you. i've literally never met him in my life though." a car turns a left and she speeds up now.
"maybe it's one of the lunch club dudes." i sniff.
"yeah god, i heard about that group."
"yeah. i kinda owe them this whole job i have now. i'd have never gotten into streaming if connor hadn't invited me out to see them."
"was it scary?"
"well, yeah but in an exciting way. it ended up being great. we visited australia and filmed all these crazy videos." the memories replay in my head.
"must've been fun huh?"

"yeah .. it was."

we stop at the hospital and she walks me in like a kid with her grandma. i chuckle at how silly i look wrapped in this blanket and weak. we check in, get me a room and talk to a doctor for a bit.

"alright, and you said you've been coughing like this for about a day?" the doctor runs though things with me.
"a day or two, yeah."
"when did the breathlessness start?"
"a couple hours ago i think."
"alrighty." she notes down some stuff on a little clipboard, "yeah it's very likely it's pneumonia. i'm also thinking it's maybe fungal too based off your reaction to it. either way we're gonna ask that you stay the night here just so we can keep an eye on you. will you be staying, miss?"

maya looks up from her phone, "oh no i can't, i have this event tonight. i'm gonna find someone to come over though. don't worry, someone you know, y/n."
"ah thank you." i sniff and smile up at her, settling into my hospital bed.

the doctor nods, "alright, we recommend somebody stays with her just because it means we have someone to ask about symptoms when she falls asleep and just to be around. we're pretty understaffed right now."
"yeah, sure absolutely. they'll be here as soon as possible." maya is very assuring.

"i'll be fine for now, you go ahead back to yours." i smile at her.
"oh are you sure?" she says sweetly, tilting her head.
"yeah, yeah. i'll be okay. i'm used to hospitals."
"aw okay.." she hugs me without being too tight and leaves with a goodbye.

after a couple of minutes i realise i'd better call charlie ... he wanted to know how i was doing.

"hey? isn't there a party tonight?"
"i'm in the hospital but-"
"the HOSPITAL?? are you okay?? what happened?" he frantically questions me.
"i'm all fine, i need you to tell everyone that. it's just a little .. pneumonia.." i say, coughing with bad timing.
"holy shit? that's what the cough was? and you're practically panting y/n .."
"yeah .."

"you need to rest .. is somebody with you?"
"maya just left but she's sending someone over to stay with me while i'm here." i chuckle, "i feel sorry for whoever it is. kinda hoping i get esfand."
"ah dude i totally would but .. well, distance.."
"don't you worry your little head about it. i'll be-" i yawn, "perfectly fine."
"well, get some rest. i'm gonna let the lunch club boys know how you're doing." he says.
"alright, please don't worry."
"you can't stop me!"
"goodbye, charlie!"
"toodles .."

i plop my phone down beside me.

id better deal with everyone worrying ... miz can't even put me in his title now. what's he gonna do?

and minx and niki at the party .. i wonder if they know what's going on. i hope they find out, really. maybe chat should've heard maya and i on the phone?

and i left my goddamn stuff open on my desk ... i get my moisturizer is going to dry up. fuck.

i hope this doesn't reverse all those lung exercises i used to do. this could be the start of more hospital frequenting again. could i stream from here?

i lie back breathless and thinking of all these worries but .. they don't keep me awake.

i drift into a light sleep. a dreaming sleep.

it's like the nightmares again. schlatt is stood there in the ocean and it's dark and stormy.

the water is so thick and hard to swim through, i run towards him but never move.

"schlatt!" i call out to him.
"hey" he smiles and turns to me.

i didn't expect him to hear me.

i keep running desperately towards him but still nothing helps. this water is thick like molasses.

soon he notices my struggle and starts walking my way.

it's easy for him, he makes his way over without any issues. the water ripples away from him gently, almost as thin as air.

i reach out to his open arms and touch him.

and he disappears.

"miss?" the doctor's voice awakens me and i blink my eyes open.

"so sorry to wake you .." she speaks nervously.
"oh it's completely fine." i smile, rubbing my eyes.
"well, your friend is here to look after you. a young man?"

i feel like i'm dreaming still, "who?"

the tall figure walks carefully into my room.

"hey... i got sent to babysit again."