And she knew

- first week of September -

"Babe where are my dumbbells?"
Maya asked with a sigh from the livingroom.
She was wearing her workout clothes ready to burn off some steam. She was starting to feel the emotional effects of the medications and the doctor suggested her to avoid running, so she had found new ways to rest her mind.

"Maya I already told you it is better if you stop with those. Please bambina." Carina answered her wife from the kitchen.

They were at the twelfth injection that morning and Carina was getting a little too worried and almost forbid Maya from doing literally anything.
After all they were done in two days and then there wouldn't have been anything to worry about anymore.

"God Carina! Doctor Bridge said that weights are fine. Let me do something." Maya answered back to her wife.
It was definitely starting to piss her off.

She had spent the past eight days sitting at the desk of the station with Andy leading the team on scenes. No gym, no fires, no running. Plus, IVF medications were injected in her almost swollen weak body so that Carina could have a baby.

"I'm not forbidding you anything Maya, it's a lot simpler. Your body state cannot handle fatigue. Non ti innervosire, sai che non lo faccio apposta." She intentionally said the last phrase in her native language so that Maya could not understand but eventually get even more pissed.

"Oh my - don't speak to me in italian Carina. Just say what you have to say." Maya stopped yelling from the other side of the house and joined Carina in the kitchen.
She was making some italian pasta she didn't know how to pronunciate, something like Amatriciana.
She felt nauseous as soon as she stepped in.

'If she wants to make pasta let her make pasta. If I want to workout, God forbid.'
The blonde thought trying to make the feeling fade. Was it her talking or the collateral effects of the medications? Maya wasn't so sure, maybe it was just an excuse to let all of her thoughts finally out.

Carina took a deep breath and placed the wooden spoon on the counter.
"I'm just saying that I'm not doing this to piss you off. But for a reason that apparently you don't understand." She didn't want to yell at Maya, cause she knew that her mood was changing due to the injections.
Still it was becoming a little hard to handle sometimes, especially right after she had one.

"What is that even supposed to mean?" Maya placed a hand on the counter to rest her boiling body. She was scanning her wife up and down in search for an answer.

"I'm just saying that maybe you're not considering how important this is. Doctor Bridge said you couldn't run two days ago and you're feeling definitely worse than you were two days ago. Which means that maybe even working out is something you shouldn't do.
Try at least a little to consider what you are doing." Ok maybe she could have cut before that last phrase. Too late? No, Maya needed to know what she was thinking, no secrets, not anymore.

Maya stopped running as soon as Doctor Bridge told her to, and since then she had also been eating close to nothing because whatever she tried her stomach couldn't handle it.

"Al least a little? Carina I'm definitely considering this. I'm not working, not running, I spend half of my days in bed resting or throwing up in the toilet! What else could I possibly do?" She opened her arms wide before letting them fall to her thighs with a big sigh.

She woke up in the middle of the night the day before and eventually fell asleep on the floor to make sure she wouldn't throw up in bed.

"Well maybe you could care!" This time Carina yelled, feeling a shiver down her spine. A shiver of immediate regret, fault but also relief.
She knew Maya cared. Right? They talked so much during the flight and the honeymoon.