Family means nobody gets left behind

- September 2nd 2024 -

"Raise your head." Carina asked her daughter tying her tie over the white shirt she was wearing.

The girl raised her chin enough, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. She could feel that her mother's hands were shaking a little, and she was as tense as the older brunette.

"Do you think mom is going to make it?" She asked looking back into the italian's eyes as her hands went to straight the shirt.

"Of course bambina, she wouldn't miss ot for the world." Carina nodded, her eyes glazing over as her daughter turned to take the jacket of her uniform and the hat she'd have to wear.

The girl had walked out of the container, dragging the dummy, only five minutes and a half after her course started and ended the exam in seven minutes and nine seconds only.
Maya had to control herself to not jump towards her daughter as soon as the trainer nodded signing that she had made it through in time.

Today there was the cerimony but earlier in the morning Maya had left to go straight to station 19 giving her daughter an excuse, while she actually would be the presenting Battalion Chief at the Academy.

"I was hoping she would come with us from here." The girl spoke while Carina walked out of the house holding Joy im her arms.

"I know. But I'm sure she'll manage to join us there. Don't worry." The italian spoke, opening the car to let them in and eventually drive towards the Academy.

"So she doesn't know you'll be presenting?" Andy asked smiling while staking up some papers.

"Not a clue. I told her I had to come here for an emergency meeting with you all." The blonde spoke, adjusting her own tie and uniform before turning back to her friend.

"We'll be waiting right here." The latina spoke giving Maya a thumbs up before the Chief walked out to join her family.

"Wait wait wait." Leslie spoke all of a sudden while her mother was already entering the building.

Carina chuckled for how those three words repeated reminded her of Maya.

"What bambina?" She asked, Joy playing with her hair leaning on the Italian's hip.

"How do I look?" The girl asked, straightening the uniform her mothers gifted her with on the same night of the exam. Maya told her they had already bought it cause they were sure, 100%, that she would succed.

"You look wonderful. And I am proud of you. Let's walk in." The older brunette spoke, letting her daughter walk in before her.

The area was full of firefighters and families, all well dressed for the cerimony and the lunch that would follow right after. Leslie immediately glanced around to spot her other mom, without success.

"What if she can't come?" She asked, a slight panic evident in her voice.

Carina had already taken a seat in the front row to make sure she could visualize the scene of her wife applying the badge on their daughter's uniform.

"She'll be here baby. Trust me." The italian tried once again to reassure the girl. Leslie turned once she heard her name being called by the other two girls of the Academy and left to go say hi.

"Baby J. What a surprise we're giving her." Carina spoke, her daughter sit on her left.

"Mamma." Joy giggled when Carina started to bounce her leg up and down and had to steady herself holding her mother's shoulders.