Just the five of us

- May 16th 2023 -

It was probably the middle of the night when Maya was awakened by a slightly quiet yell that clearly came from Leslie's room.
As she turned to her left side, Carina was leaning on her arm which made it impossible for her to stand up and go check the girl without waking her wife.
So she gently patted Carina's shoulder with her left hand and the brunette eventually moved away enough for her to free her arm.

As she reached the door and knocked, a wisper told her she could go inside.
The girl was half sitted in bed, one of her legs bended close to her chest as her hand was moving through her hair.
Maya immediately noticed a few tears on her cheeks and fast approached, sitting next to her, to hold her tight in an embrace.

When Leslie's breathing evened out, Maya slowly pulled away stroking her cheek with her left hand keeping her head resting on her shoulder. She knew she didn't have to push the girl, last time she had a nightmare and Maya tried to make her open up, Leslie had eventually ran out of the house coming back a few hours later to a very stressed Carina and a pretty angry and worried Maya.

She felt the girl's head move slightly and the blonde realized she had dozed off. So as a mother would do, she gently put her back down on the bed and covered her with the sheets before placing a soft kiss on her forehead and head back out to her own bedroom.

Before lying back on the bed she checked on the little one, seeing her thankfully fast asleep in her crib.
Carina felt Maya arrive back on the bed and turned towards her without even opening her eyes.

"Everything okay?" She softly asked placing her arm on Maya's chest.

"Yeah. Everything's fine." The blonde wispered kissing her wife's head before falling back asleep.

A ray of sunshine that filtered through the curtains managed to wake her up probably a little too early as her clock showed. She still had two hours before going to school but decided to get up and go to kitchen to drink something. She felt herself a little dehidrated after what had happened that night even if she wasn't sure she rememebered everything except for Maya walking in and holding her until she fell asleep.
She heard some noises coming from the kitchen which meant her mother was probably already awake for her shift or had gone out for a run.

"Look who's already awake." The blonde immediately spoke in a half wisper when the girl approached, knowing how she hated loud noises first thing in the morning.

"Morning honey." She spoke again turning around to take a glass from the cabinet and hand it to the girl.

"Thanks." Leslie answered in a half smile taking the glass and filling it with the orange juice already placed on the table.

Maya leaned on the counter looking at her, a little worried but still silent, waiting for her to speak whenever she would be ready.

"Thanks, for last night." She said in a wisper before clearing her throat to speak again.
"I hadn't had one in months."

"Yeah I know." Maya nodded before she went to sit next to her.

"I just...he had come inside and was threatening to hit you, the three of you. And as he tried to approach Joy I was totally freaking out and I guess my own scream woke me up." She blurted out hoping her voice wouldn't crack too much.

Maya looked at her from the side, moving her hand up and down her back to soothe her.
She knew that since Leslie had seen her father a few days ago she had been struggling a little.