To save is to love

- December 4th 2022 -

"I think we should keep both of you under observation for a little while." Doctor Hayes explained to both Maya and Carina, one of them half sat on the bed, the other straight on her feet holding her wife's hand.

"Do you think something could happen to her?" Maya half wispered to avoid waking their newborn baby.

"It's unlikely, her lungs look a lot better already and it's been three days only. But I would like to run a few more tests if that's okay with you." He kept talking to the couple even as Leslie walked in, holding a cup of coffee for herself and her blonde mother.

"Is everything okay in here?" She asked, handing Maya her cup and then walking to Joy's side.

"The doctors think that your sister and I should stay here for a little longer." The italian explained, hoping it wouldn't scare the girl.

"Why? I thought everything was fine already." The younger brunette took a sip of her cappuccino shaking her head for how bitter it was.

"It is. But Doctor Hayes here wants to make sure that we won't run in any kind of danger with Joy in the future." She tried to reassure her daughter as best she could.

The brunette still felt a little weak even after three days, but things were starting to settle with her. She knew that the doctor's worries were mostly for the baby.
They had kept her under oxygen almost constantly in the past two days, she was off only if they brought her to Carina but she still had some breathing distress which causes were unknown for now.

"We trust 100% that your sister is gonna be just fine. But after her eventful birth we think it would be better to cross any scenario and keep her here for a while. Maybe a week, maybe two." The doctor explained again, knowing how to reassure the girl.

Leslie nodded, Maya's hand squeezed her wife's as Carina eventually agreed to her collegue's words.
As they walked out, the italian decided to lay down a little while.

"Could you hand me the mask bambina?" She asked Leslie, the device was hanging right above her head.

"Are you in pain? Do you want me to call somebody?" Maya immediately asked, not knowing if it were actually necessary to worry, but being already.

"Si bella, don't worry. I'm just a little tired...just tired." Her eyes were already closing so Maya helped her put the mask on and gave her a soft kiss on the forehead as she drifted off to sleep.

- May 25th 2024 -

She remembered the last time her ears could hear nothing but a constant beeping sound. The hot box call where they got stuck into a garage and used a tank to go out. It almost exploded on her, she lost her hearing for a few minutes, remained half deaf for a while.

But now it felt a little more like a muffled beeping sound, that was already coming clearer.
She shook her head to stop herself from thinking useless things but realised it was the worst idea ever when her head felt extremely dizzy and her stomach threatened to empty itself in that exact moment.