I will rescue you

Present time

The key clicked inside the lock and Maya pushed the door open with her shoulder, being both her hands occupied with a few bags.

She had stopped to the grocery store on her way home.

"So...this is the entrance, and here is the kitchen...which is basically my wife's kingdom so just walk past it unless she calls it's ready to eat." She let a small laugh fall from her mouth. Carina's Kingdom sounded like a good way to describe their kitchen.

"And she always cooks italian?" Leslie asked following the blonde past the kitchen to the livingroom.

"Not always but most times, yeah. Which is definitely pretty great." She laughed again placing the bags on the couch to rest her arms.

They went to the grocery store together to buy things for the dinner but also for Leslie, cause her house burnt down and she didn't have anything anymore.

"I would pay anything for that." The girl followed Maya's laughter and then joined her towards the door of the rooms.
Maya opened her and Carina's.

"So this is our bedroom and in the wardrobes you can find any kind of clothing item you want...just don't go past the fourth drawer." She chuckled closing the door and walking towards the other room.
Last time she opened it was two months earlier.
She placed her hand on the handle and slowly pushed it opened.

The walls smelt of fresh paint and were more green than Maya remembered them to be.
The built crib was lying on the left side of the room, opposite to the window so that wind or sun wouldn't bother the baby. That was the plan.

"I can...sleep on the couch if it's a problem."
Leslie spoke understanding how hard it must be. She remembered the Doctor telling her earlier about their unborn baby.

"What? No, of course not. Just make yourself at home. Whatever you need should be in your bathroom, use it and call me if you need anything. We both need a showed now, don't you think?" She shook her head and gestured the girl towards her room. They still had left the bed on one side of the place, in case anyone would have needed to spend the night at their place before the baby was born.

"Yeah, definitely. Ehm...Maya," The girl spoke towards the Captain who turned to look at her.

"Thank you." She warmly smiled before Maya closed the door behind her back to go have a shower.

They decided she would stay with them until the whole thing with her father settled down. She didn't have money or anything and the social worker they called to gather some informations told them that she was too grown to just be ammitted into a group home, let alone to be fostered or adopted cause nobody wants a teenager.

So Maya and Carina closed into a meeting room and spoke over the girl for about an hour before agreeing on keeping her at their place for as long as she needed.

Carina would end her shift in an hour and join them to the apartment for dinner. The girl was in the hospital for almost fifteen hours, since the firefighters brought them out of her burning house.
She had no lunch and was probably starving, let alone stinking.
The shower she was having felt like the best gift someone could possibly give her and she was extremely grateful to both Maya and Carina for rescuing her for the third time that day.
The hot water was flowing down her body and she sighed rilieved that probably her nightmare was finally over.

Once she had finished she went to Maya's bedroom with a bathrobe on to grab some clothes.
She resisted the urge to see what the fourth drawer was holding and opened a drawer and found underwear, then another one where she grabbed a t-shirt and a pair of shorts.