Chapter Ten (Part One)

Chapter Ten

Hadley

 Pictures of Dr. Charlie smiling flashed across the television screen. The mid-day news anchor reported that although the police had no leads, they were hopeful that someone would come forward with information about the accident.

“The other vehicle involved in the accident, which officers believe to be red, will have substantial damage to the front end. If you see a vehicle matching this description, please contact the police immediately.”

With a shaky hand, I pressed the mute button on the remote. The numbness that I had fought so hard to overcome set in again. Like a warm blanket, it encompassed me. It seeped through my pores until I felt nothing.

My phone buzzed. I had over twenty text messages from Scarlet and three missed calls from Dr. Charlie’s office. Shoving my phone out of sight, I closed my eyes and waited for the pain to set in.

Please, come home, my mother had pleaded over the phone a few hours earlier. This is too much for you to handle on your own. I found myself nodding as she spoke. I’ll come over in a few hours, I had told her. Yes, I’ll stay over tonight. Yes, I’ll text Scarlet back. I know she’s worried about me.

Looking at the walls of my bedroom, I tried to make sense of everything that had happened over the past forty-eight hours. I had met Sawyer, almost chopped his hand off with my front door, went on a date with him, and then without warning, my happiness had shattered, and Dr. Charlie was gone.

Why is this happening to me? Am I being punished for something I did? All of the same questions that had run on replay through my head the days following my accident with Hudson started all over again.

Like a robot, I stood and began packing an overnight bag. Shoving three shirts, yoga pants, and two pair of jeans, I went into the bathroom and grabbed deodorant and a brush.

After zipping shut the duffel bag, I picked up my phone and stared at the screen. What do I even tell her? Buckle up! You’re in for another three months of the worst best friend ever. I sighed and entered my password.

Scar – Sorry I haven’t been in touch. Rough day. Staying at mom and dad’s for a bit. Lunch at Laughing Seed on Friday?

I pressed send and tossed my phone toward my bed. Missing the mattress completely, it landed on the floor with an audible thump. I sighed and attempted to pick it up, but somehow managed to kick it further under the bed. My shoulders fell. Ugh!

Dropping to my hands and knees, I reached under the bed and blindly felt for my phone. My fingers brushed against the cover for a moment, before they stumbled across something else. Frowning, I pulled out my phone and the smooth object.

The moment my eyes landed on the tightly folded square, goose bumps erupted across my arms. I took a shaky breath and unfolded the thin piece of paper multiple times before pressing it straight against the floor.

My eyes skimmed the small print on the receipt from a nearby liquor store. A bottle of vodka and tonic water? I’ve never bought either of those items... The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I eased onto the floor and pulled back the bed skirt.

Searching, I looked for anything else out of place, anything else that didn’t belong under my bed. Coming up empty, I sat up and looked down at the small piece paper. There’s got to be a simple answer for this, right? It must be Scarlet’s. Yeah, I’m sure she accidentally dropped it the last time she came over.  

An alarm beeped on my phone, interrupting my stream of thoughts. Looking down, a capital M flashed back at me. Time to take your medicine and time to stop being so paranoid, I thought to myself with a sigh.

Shaking my head, I turned off the alarm and stood up. Yeah, Hadley, like anyone would want to hide under your bed…

-------------------------

HEY! I'm so sorry for the super short entry, but I just finished it and I really wanted to share it with all of you right away! I'm just about to start on the second half of this chapter, but I wanted to share this with you first.

Also, thank you to everyone for your patience! I've been ridiculously sick with bronchtis for over two weeks and between constant coughing and loads of medicine that has left me feeling super gross, I've literally had zero energy. :( 

Okay, I'm off to write a bit more before bed! Hoping to update with the second half of this chapter tonight/tomorrow. 

Hearts,

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo