Chapter Twelve (Part Two)

Hadley

——-

The blade dug further into the tender skin under my chin.

"I said, 'DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME NOW?'" snarled my attacker.

My entire body shook with fear. "Mmm hmm."

"Are you sure?"

"Mmm hmm," I repeated the best I could with the gag in my mouth.

The blade clanged loudly on the floor. "Now there's a good girl."

An unseen hand stroked my hair, causing bile to creep up the back of my throat.

"Perhaps you'd like something to eat?"

I shook my head.

"I'm sorry, perhaps you understood me. You will have something to eat. After all, I can't have my queen wasting away."

My queen? The sickening feeling in my stomach worsened. The last thing I could do right now is eat, I thought to myself.

Leaning down and picking up the blade, I heard a plastic bag being riffled through and a can being opened.

I shuttered and tried to blink back the tears that threatened to spill over. Don't give this asshole the satisfaction of seeing you cry, I thought to myself. Do something useful. Try to figure out where you are.

My eyes scanned the damp stone walls. Besides being littered with jagged cracks, they were empty, nothing to indicate where we were. Next, I searched the floor. The lantern and candles were giving off such a faint light that I had to squint. On the wall to my left, a few cans of food were stacked and several jugs of water were placed in a neat line against the wall. Gazing to my right, I frowned. What's that? I asked myself.

As if reading my mind, my kidnapper laughed loudly.

"Oh, don't mind that old thing," came the wicked voice from somewhere behind me. "I'll pick up new sheets the next time I stop by the store."

My jaw dropped.

"Don't worry, it's only temporary."

As my eyes adjusted to the dim light, I stared at the thin mattress covered in a stained sheet, shoved into the corner of the room. A hook and chain were secured to the wall near the top and the bottom of the makeshift bed.  

My mouth went dry and the tears that I had managed to hold at bay only moments ago exploded from my eyes like a swollen creek flooding its banks.

 "You can cry all you want, but until I learn to trust you, you'll have to sleep over there."

Sobs shook my entire body.

The hand stroked the back of my head again. "There, there. Don't worry. Once you learn to behave, I'll let you sleep with me." 

I cried even louder.

"But, if you don't," sneered my attacker in a nefarious tone, "I'll make you wish I had killed you back in your apartment!"

Laughter bounced off of the walls as my entire body went numb.

This can't be happening to me. Right? It can't be. This has to be a nightmare, a horrible, horrible, horrible, nightmare.

Biting the inside of my lip, I waited for it to hurt. If it's a nightmare, it won't hurt. The stinging sensation brought a fresh wave of tears to my eyes.

How am I going to get out of here? Scarlet knew about my date with Sawyer and might not bother me if I didn't call her until the morning. Wait! Suddenly a small flicker of hope passed through me. Sawyer! He'll know something went wrong when I didn't show up for our date. But would he have called the cops? What if he thinks I just blew him off?

The sound of humming broke my concentration. Why does that sound familiar? The humming continued. The same notes over and over again. Then, in the blink of an eye, the glimmer of hope faded just as quickly as it had come to life.

————————————

Hey, Lovelies!

I know this entry wasn't super long, but, it ended right where I wanted it to and sometimes you just have to listen to your inner author. You know what I'm saying?

I'm already plotting the next chapter in my head and I'll have a new entry from Caden's point of view ready soon!

What do you think will happen next?

Hearts,

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo

Twitter: www.twitter.com/kellyanneblount or @KellyAnneBlount

Facebook: www.facebook.com/kellyanneblount