Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

Caden

"Wake up," I whispered, running my thumb across Hadley's cheek.

Hadley let out a murmur.

"I'm sorry I had to hit you so hard," I apologized. "But I couldn't have you making all of that noise."

Hadley's eyes fluttered open. Panic immediately washed over her face.

"So, listen," I said quietly. "I have been thinking about it a lot. I mean a lot. And, I think we can make it work. We can raise the baby. My brother died, just like yours. Maybe this child is exactly what we need to heal our broken hearts. We can raise him as our own and we'll get to be parents and I'll get to be a big brother!"

Hadley smirked, her nose crinkling.

"Not only would I rather die then raise a child with you, it's never going to happen! The baby is dead," spat Hadley.

Red clouded my vision and fury overtook my senses. "What did you just say?"

Wincing as she sat up, the corners of Hadley's lips twitched into a smile. "I said, the baby is dead and guess what? I couldn't be happier!"

My right eye began to twitch. "You're lying."

Hadley let out a sarcastic laugh and lifted her hospital gown, exposing her bandaged midsection. She pinched the tape and pulled it back. "See," she said, peeling back the bandage.

An angry red scar stretched across Hadley's abdomen.

"What did you do?" I hissed.

"Now there'll never be another one of you," Hadley snarled.

The snap inside was almost audible. My fingers instantly tucked into white-knuckled balled fists.

"I'm not scared of you anymore, Caden. I've already died on the inside. You can't take anything more from me," said Hadley defiantly. "You'll always be an unlovable disgusting human being."

I lunged at her, my fists colliding with her face. Her delicate bones smashed under my hands as they repeatedly pummeled her face.

Blood gushed from Hadley's nose and mouth, but I didn't stop. I couldn't stop.

Grabbing the scalpel out of my pocket, I plunged it into her chest. "YOU KILLED THE BABY AND YOU KILLED OUR LOVE!"

Letting out a growl, I spun around and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind me. "THAT BITCH!"

Running down the hall, I stopped into another room and ducked into the bathroom. Scrubbing the blood off my shaking hands, I cursed under my breath. "I've wasted so much time on her. She wasn't special. She was a disposable piece of garbage, just like the rest of them!"

I shook the water off my hands and dried them on my scrubs. Okay, time to get moving, I thought to myself.

Adrenaline coursed through my veins as I sprinted down the hallway, in the opposite direction of the elevator. Pushing the bar of an emergency exit door, I raced down the stairs until I reached the ground floor. Take a deep breath. Relax.

Opening the door, I stepped out into a chaotic scene. Patients in wheelchairs, police cars, and hospital employees buzzed around everywhere.

"Did you just evacuate?"

Turning around, I came face to face with a lanky detective with a baby face.

"Uh, yeah. I fell asleep with earphones on in one of the on call rooms. I woke up and saw the message on my page," I said, trying to give off the right level of panic in my voice. "Is there a bomb in the hospital?"

"There is a suspicious package on the first floor in the stairwell. The bomb squad just arrived," said the police officer.

"Thanks. I better go help," I said, motioning my head toward the crowd.

The police officer nodded.

As I walked away, I forced myself to keep the smile, which threatened to overtake my face, at bay.

You're almost there, Caden, I told myself. You're almost home free.

-------------------------------------

Undies,

Oh my gosh! I'm totally freaking out! The end is near! 

What do you think is going to happen to Caden? Do you think Hadley is alive? 

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Chapter Thirty-One! 

Hearts,

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo