Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Hadley

As I left Doctor Charlie's office a flood of emotions washed through me. Overall, I felt better, but the pain of thinking about him felt like a fresh band-aid being ripped off over and over and over again.

I blinked back tears and inhaled sharply. No more crying tonight. I had cried enough on Scarlet's shoulder over the past few months.

I hobbled up the steps to the Coffee Cabana. Phew! Body pump destroyed my legs. Before I opened the door, I spun around and looked toward the sidewalk. Nothing. Like always, there was nothing there.

Shaking my head, I turned back toward the large glass doors.

I smiled as Scarlet waved me from the front of the line.

"Hey, Hadley," she said.

"Hey," I responded, joining her in line. I wrapped my arms around her and squeezed.

"What can I get you?" asked a pretty blonde girl with wide green eyes.

"Mocha latte and a scone," Scarlet replied.

"And for you?"

"Chai latte and a soft pretzel," I responded.

I gave the cashier a twenty-dollar bill.

Scarlet frowned. "I'm not going to let you pay for me."

Placing my hand on her shoulder, I shrugged my shoulders. "It's the least I can do."

She gave me a lopsided grin. "Thanks, Had," she said smiling. "You're the best."

***

We sat on opposite sides of a small wooden booth.

With her hands wrapped around a large mug and a concerned look on her face, she asked, "So how are you doing?"

I took a sip of my drink and swallowed slowly. "I'm..." I paused. "I'm doing okay."

Scarlet's dark brown eyes poured into mine. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I think so," I said nodding my head slightly.

"That's good," she said, smiling softly.

I shifted in my seat. "There's one thing though..."

Scarlet leaned forward, a crease forming between her brows. "What's going on?"

I ran a hand through my dark hair. "I talked to Dr. Charlie about it..." I trailed off for a moment. "I'm just not sleeping well and," I paused. "This is going to sound stupid, but I feel like ever since I started taking my medicine, that someone's been watching me."

Scarlet's eyes went wide. "Are you serious? That isn't good! Are you going to switch medicines or stop taking it?"

"Dr. Charlie is going to have me try a new one. But switching over is going to take a few days."

My friend frowned. "You sure it's just a side effect?"

I gave her a strained smile. "Who's going to want to watch me?"

Returning the smile, she reached out and grabbed my hand. "I'd watch you any day."

I let out a small chuckle. "At least that makes someone."

Scarlet took a bite of her scone. "Have you given any thought to Eva's party tomorrow night? I heard Emerson's going to be there."

Nibbling on the pretzel, I shook my head. "I don't know..."

"Didn't Dr. Charlie tell you it would be good to get out and socialize?" she implored.

I held up my hands. "Hey, now. I'm out with you, aren't I?"

"I mean out - out. Like with someone other then me. You know, somewhere where you can't wear yoga pants," said Scarlet.

"I just don't think I'm ready for all of that yet," I said looking down into the half empty deep blue mug. "Plus, I'm okay with being single. It's not like I could handle a relationship right now. I can barely handle myself."

She gave me a sad grin. "I figured... I just don't want you to become a hermit and stop leaving your house all together."

I held up my right hand, three fingers out and my thumb and pinking touching in the middle, "I promise not to turn into a hermit. Girl Scout's Honor."

Scarlet let out a giggle. "Okay, if you promise."

Dropping my hand, I grinned. "You always know how to cheer me up, Scar."

"That's what friends are for," she replied.

-------------------------------

Thank you so much for checking out my latest story! I'll be posting it as I write it here on Wattpad! :)

Don't forget to find me on Twitter! :) @KellyAnneBlount

&

Facebook! www.facebook.com/kellyanneblount

P.S. Please excuse any errors you may encounter. This is a work in progress and has not been edited yet.

P.S.S. Thanks to Skylar_Darkthrop for the awesome fan art (below) for this chapter! Love it! :)

 Thanks to Skylar_Darkthrop for the awesome fan art (below) for this chapter! Love it! :)