Chapter Fifteen (Part One)

Chapter Fifteen

Caden

Looking over my shoulder, I frowned.

"Had?" I called out quietly.

When she didn't respond, I sighed and made my way out of the room.

I closed the door quietly and began the meticulous process of locking the industrial padlocks I had purchased to keep Hadley in and anyone else who might stumble upon the basement of the abandoned house.

There. Done, I thought to myself after securing the last lock. The stairs creaked under my feet as I climbed to the top and emerged in the gutted kitchen.

Holding my breath to avoid the mold smell that permeated the entire house, I rushed through the kitchen and small living room. I didn't breath again until I stood on the front porch. Gross.

I had plans to move Hadley to another home. We desperately needed something to call our own, as well as something with running water and a stove. Houses cost money, Caden, I reminded myself for the millionth time.

Continuing to curse myself, I cut through the overgrown yard and down a dirt path. Afraid of random discovery, I hid my car in a small clearing behind thick brush and although I felt safer, it was a huge pain in the ass to get to everyday. I typically needed to leave no later then five in the morning during the week in order to get home, take a shower, get changed, and make it in to work on time.

If only Hadley were more trust worthy, I thought to myself. Then, I wouldn't have to worry about this mess every day!

Anger started to pool in my stomach. If she could just behave, I could keep her at my apartment! But noooooooooooooooooooo, she's always crying and screaming. I swatted a mosquito away from my face. If I brought her home, the neighbors would hear her the very first night and it would be over.

I ripped a small leafy branch off of a nearby tree and threw it on the ground. Hadley, this is all your fault! Why can't you just be a good girl and love me?

Turning right down the path, I hopped over a fallen log and swatted away more mosquitoes. When my car finally came into view, I fished the keys out of my pocket and unlocked the door on the driver's side.

"And that's why this is such a desirable plot of land," came a voice from somewhere in the woods.

I immediately dropped to the ground and crawled into a thick patch of prickly bushes.

"Now there are two properties included in the sale of the land. There's the barn, which we looked at earlier, and a dilapidated house just a few minutes away. Would you like to take a look?"

My jaw dropped and I inhaled sharply.

"Yeah," answered another voice. "That would be great."

-------------------------

Hey, Lovelies!

What did you think of Part One of Chapter Fifteen? I know it's on the short side, but I have to be honest, I'm so tired I literally almost fell asleep typing! Ooops! :) I'll finish and post the second half soon!

Big happy hearts,

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo

P.S. If you love Under, don't forget to vote and leave a comment! <3 <3 <3