Uncontrollable

Ring! Ring! My alarm startled me awake. My flailing arms reaching for my phone threw me off my bed and woke my roommate. The piercing noise and bright light made turning off my alarm even more of a challenge. Once it was off, I stood up and glanced at my roommate with the pillow over her head. I looked at the time and dropped my head in hopelessness. My alarm had been set for four in the morning and not six. I would have to wait two hours before I could start getting ready. Normally this problem wouldn't be a problem for someone but for me it was huge. Once I'm up, I'm up for the day.

I hopped back up onto my bed and closed my eyes. My mind drifted to the thought of how my family was doing at home. Toby was approaching his fifth birthday and my step mom had pleaded with me to help plan his birthday. Of course I said yes but I did not understand why he needed a birthday blowout at the age of five. My father had thought a party was fine but sided with me when he heard my stepmother was inviting sixty people.

Maybe Hoggle or Ludo will come to say happy birthday to Toby. Oh it has been so long since I have seen them I thought with a smile fading slowly on my face. I wanted to see them again desperately. I had done everything to prove to myself it wasn't a dream. But the only thing I had not done was call on the goblin king. I refused out of fear of what would happen this time. He stole my brother, who knew who or what he would steal this time.

My mind replayed the entire time I had in the underground until my alarm rang out for class. I was sad somewhat of having to leave the memory. The other part of me was happy the memory was fading so much. I had forgotten what the voice of Jareth and the others. The memory had been so warn by time that their faces were smeared in my imagination.  

I threw off the covers that entangled my body and stood up. The cold floor froze my feet and the overwhelming feeling of wanting to skip my lecture today hung on me like a thick blanket. Instead of obliging to the thought, I pushed forward and grabbed a towel and a change of clothes. I stepped into the bathroom and turned the shower on. I placed the clothes on the sink counter before throwing the towel over the shower door. My eyelids fluttered as I waited for the shower to heat up. I had to lean on the wall to keep my exhausted body from falling over. 

When I finally stepped into the shower I breathed in deeply and closed my eyes. I trance over me was soon lost with the soothing water beating down on my back. I massaged my new shampoo in my hair and watched the steam swirl around me. The shower started to smell like roses from my shampoo and I washed the shampoo out of my hair. I used a same smelling conditioner on my hair before washing my body and shaving my legs. I had gotten up so early that I could take my precious time to shave because whenever I rushed, I had red spots all over my legs. It's not fun wearing pants in summer.

I finished my shower soon after and wrapped myself in a towel. Its embrace felt like a hug. I reached for my clothes and quickly dressed myself. I wore a pair of dark skinny jeans, white tank top, blue flannel shirt, white beanie, and my short brown boots with a small heel. To finish my outfit, I took my mother's necklace that my father had given me for my sixteenth birthday and put it around my neck. It was a silver necklace that held a small tear shaped diamond on the end with silver leaves leading up to it. I touched the small diamond and smiled before grabbing my books and running out of my room.

***

After my classes had ended, I rushed to the small café and sat down at a table and looked around. It was not as busy as usual, but a few students were sitting around. I enjoyed the quietness of the cafe. I did my homework here every day. I forgot how I found the small cafe, but I don't regret it.The comfy café was on the edge of campus. I had to walk between two buildings and around the back of another to get here. The Victorian café was beautiful with tables on one side and couches on the other surrounding a fireplace. The two sides were diving by the counter to get your coffee. The hardwood floors shined under the glow of the fireplace and the setting sun outside.