Fight or Flight

My breath rushed from my body as the creature slammed into me. With me firmly in his grasp, we soared into the air. I looked up frantically into his golden eyes and he stopped. My sword was blocked by his arm. We stared at each other frozen in mid-air. He loosened his grip while he studied me as if he were waiting for something. I took out my sword and nicked his leg. The creatures head leaned back with a cry of anger and I closed my eyes.

               His eyes narrowed and with one shove I was thrust away from him. I reached for my sword as he threw his spear at me. Wind roared around me as I fell. The creatures spear flew towards my chest and I held up my sword. The sharp impact rattled my arm and sent his spear shattered in the other direction. Another screech erupted and this time it came from me. The creature looked down at me with a drop of blood rolling down his leg. I held out my hand as if he was to catch me but all the creature did was watch.

               Black specks began to cover the sky and I gasped. Those weren't dark clouds or my imagination; they were other creatures like the one above me. They flew towards me. I was about to hit the tree line when one of the creatures crushed unto me and sent me flying in the other direction. I coughed from the impact and held up my sword. I swung wildly at the creatures as they tossed me from being to being. They laughed their screams. "Stop!" I screamed right as one of their sharp wings cut my face.

               I searched to see who cut me and met the eyes of the first flyer that took me into the sky. He looked down at me from the blur of creatures throwing me this way and that. He smiled slightly showing his enjoyment of my suffering. The creatures were playing with me. I began to get fed up with their games and swung my sword making contact with one. It screamed so loud I almost fainted. The creature fell from the sky and I heard branches breaking below me. The leader stared at me with death in his eyes.

               He yelled to all the creatures and spears flew in my direction. The flyers didn't take kindly to my slaying of one of their own. I screamed as a spear connected with my leg and almost tore the strange fabric. Rough arms held onto mine and threw me harder into the air. It began to feel like I was bouncing. My sword swung towards the creatures and one creature after another began to fall. The leader, with one more harsh call, sent me barreling towards the ground. "No!" I cried as I put my hands in front of my face.

               I held onto my necklace tightly and put all my will power into stopping my fall. Jareth watched from below as I catapulted downwards. Quickly, my fall began to slow and my necklace glowed. I smiled at my progress in handling the crystal. Jareth and the mud creature ran frantically for me as the creatures from the sky flew down. The sounds of their cries and landings shook the ground. I ran from their descent all around me. "Run Sarah!" Jareth yelled from one hundred feet away. My feet, pounding on the ground, were slipping and sliding on the muddy floor. My lungs began to burn from the lack of water, so I reached down as a spear flew over my head and picked up mud.

               I wiped it on my face just as a flying creature ripped my shoulder back and I was sent sprawling onto the ground. I unsheathed my sword and this time, the creature had a weapon. He snarled at me viciously and thrust his spear at me. I touched his spear with my sword as I moved and brought the blade down just before the tip. The sharp part of the spear broke off and fell to the ground. He screeched at me before bringing the heavy wood down to my head. I ducked as his wings knocked me to the ground. With one last hiss, the creature took the edge of the spear from the ground and held it above my head. I lifted my sword and pushed upwards. The creatures eyes drained of color and the pointed edge dropped from his hands. I felt a tear slide down my face as the creature dropped to his knees. It let out a breath and looked at me square in the eyes before collapsing.