When I Fall

I gasped awake and sat up quickly. My heart raced as I looked around furiously to figure out there I was. I glanced down when I knew I was in the room Kilton gave me when he kidnapped me. My dress was lying over the bed elegantly and hung off one side of the bed like someone placed it in that specific position. I fell back down on the bed with a sigh. Glancing down my arm, I saw the burned chain on my wrist. Kilton had bound me to him. I turned my face to the right to look away from that wrist. My eyes landed on my enclosed hand. I opened my hand to reveal my necklace.

Was it a dream? I wondered studying every part of the necklace. I wondered if I were really my mother's dream that she gave her brother up for. It didn't make sense! She gave up her brother so she could have me so many years later. Could she not have children? "No, because she had Toby" I mumbled out loud. She also mentioned something about making her wrongs right. "You know what would be nice mom? If you told me what wrongs you did in the first place!" I whispered to the necklace before putting around my neck. I struggled with the clasp as I put the necklace on blindly and pinched myself before finally getting it hooked.

I stood and walked to the window. Leaning my head on the stone to look out, my eyes caught movement beside my bed and I turned around quickly. "Engal! You frightened me!" I said putting my palm on the forehead. She moved around my bed with her head down quickly and eased towards me. I watched her try to walk closer but shake her head and hold onto the side of the bed as if it were hiding her. "Engal, what are you doing?" I asked sitting on the window sill. She said nothing but opened and closed her mouth like she was trying to talking to me. I raised my eyebrows at her and she looked at me funny. I followed her line of sight all the way to my chest where the necklace rested under my dress.

"Is there something you would like to confront me about?" I asked her. She shook her head quickly but bit her nasty lip and tapped her hand on her ratty dress. "Engal, I think you want to tell me something" I smiled and walked over to her and sat on the bed. "Um, well, princess, I, hm" She mumbled and I held up a hand. "I am no one's princess, please address me as Sarah" I said to her. "Master would never allow it" She said shaking her head vigorously. "Well then when he is not here you may call me Sarah. If I am his princess, I order you to call me Sarah in private. Being princess to him has such an awful feel to it" I said to her. Engal nodded nervously before I patted the other side of the foot of the bed. "What do you have to say that looks like its choking you inside?" I asked once more.

"Prin...uh, Sarah, I saw your beautiful necklace. Why did you start to shake with it in your hand and fall onto your bed to sleep?" She asked cowering under my sight. I put a hand on her shoulder and smiled. "I won't bite you" I chuckled. "If I tell you do you promise not to tell? I haven't gotten any friends here and I want to be your friend. Friends tell each other stuff, almost everything! I would love to share with you" I said. Engal nodded and her eyes sparkled. "A friend! I, Engal, have a friend!" She said smiling and nodding.

"Alright, well I need you to tell me something first. Did you ever see or know the last girl who beat the labyrinth?" I asked. Engal thought for a moment and nodded her head slightly. "Yes, Engal knew her. Not well, but I took her brother when she gave him up. Such a sweet little boy" Engal said shaking her head sadly. "Can you tell me everything about her?" I asked.

"She was so pretty. I remember her the day she gave her brother up. I have never seen a girl so proud of her decision with such sad eyes. She fell into the Goblin King's trap and he was so happy. He smiled the biggest smile I had ever seen for winning. The girl asked to say goodbye to her brother and she clung to him before giving the child to Engal. She looked away from child as I walked away. I looked back at her and she snatched the crystal from the Goblin King and disappeared. That night I was feeding the baby when the Goblin King's scream woke every goblin in the castle. He was yelling in fury from something that girl did. Engal saved the baby from Goblin King. He tried to take the child but Engal stopped him and said it would be better to send the Child to the high fae like him. The girl had stolen from him, a very powerful crystal. He never had another Labyrinth chase until you. When you won and refused him, Engal saw the same look in him as the other girl had in her eyes"