Unhelpful Hands

My eyes fluttered open to the light streaming in my room. I felt a dull throb in my wrist and a hammering in my head as I tried to lift my head. My body lay snugly under the covers and my head rested perfectly on the middle of three pillows. I turned over on my bed and allowed the beams of light to warm my face. I held my pillow that my head was resting on and felt the sun warm my exposed wrists. At first I didn't recognize the feeling but began to notice my wrists held a slight throb.

My body stiffened as images flashed before my eyes. I saw myself running down the outside corridor, and then the images flashed to dark water on the ceiling of a small room. I gasped as I saw myself jump onto Jareth's bed and throw him to the floor. As our bodies hit the floor the image switched to me hitting the black stone floor below the dark water above my head. I could feel my thumbs pressing into Jareth's neck to choke him and his harsh grip on me as he threw me off of him. The image switched to Jareth leaning over me as my wrists began to burn and finally to Kilton's face smiling wickedly down at me.

"No" I said to myself as I sat up quickly and looked down at me hands. "It was just a dream." What I thought had happened was just an illusion. "I had a fit with my wrists in my sleep and it caused bad dreams" I reassured myself. "It is quiet concerning to see someone talk to themselves like they were two people" A voice said from across the room. I froze and looked up slowly. "Jareth" I breathed. He sat on a stool beside my mirror across the room while tapping his boot with a finger and lounging his back on the wall. Thankfully Jareth had on a shirt when he stood up.

I pushed myself against the headboard as Jareth took a step towards the bed. I looked at his neck where two small ovals were bruised into his skin where my thumbs had been. He caught me staring at the marks and pursed his lips. "So easily controlled" He mumbled as I met his eyes once again. "You know, I could report you and have the King have you cast into the dungeons or enslave you" He said as if he were considering it. "No you wouldn't" I said gaining confidence. "Oh? And why not Sarah? You did try to kill me." I moved my legs out from under the covers and stood on the other side of the bed. "You don't play that kind of game. Acting immature might be one of your strengths but a child nark is not your style" I spoke clearing and he smiled. I took a step back towards the glass. "What is my style exactly?" He asked. "Manipulation, cheating, and selfishness seem more like you" I replied taking another step.

"If anything I believe my intentions thus far have been pure" Jareth said. "Pure? You drug me into your broken kingdom and threatened my life. You've constantly placed my life in danger and have your own agenda only known to you" I stuttered. I put my hand behind my back slowly and found the door knob. "And I assume you know my plans for the future?" He asked walking slowly around the bed. "I've overheard some talk about it. I won't let you win Jareth, not like my mom. I will never be your slave. I know what you want from me and I know what you did to get it" His face twisted in confusion before returning to normal.

When I turned the door knob, he reached for me and I ran. I heard his footsteps echoing behind mine and gaining distance. My dress caught the wind and the bottom flew behind my body like a cape as I ran. I didn't have enough time to pull my dress to me because of my pace already tripping at my feet. My head twisted in every direction trying to find a place to run to but the corridor seemed to stretch for forever. I looked to the lake and swallowed. Jareth shuffled to a stop as I changed direction and ran for the stairs but he was closer. Jareth ran around me blocking my path to the stairs and cocked his eyebrows at me, toying with me. I grabbed hold of a column nearby and swung myself. Using the momentum I gained, I launched myself off of the small wall and dove into the water. As soon as my skin touched the water, I felt a shiver rush down my body.

Underneath the water was another city in itself. Fish swam all around of every kind including ones I had never seen before. It was like a beautiful reef. Colorful coral shimmered in the light protruding under the surface. I continued to swim away from the castle and through the reef. At first the fish swam away from me but as I swam deeper, the fish brushed up against my body and acted like I was no threat. When I neared the end of the reef, my lungs screamed for air. The reef took a sudden dip into darkness and I pushed back. Giving into the pain, my legs kicked to the surface and I took a large gulp of air.