A Promise to Keep

"Sarah?" Sina asked as I glared at Jareth. He returned my gaze lazily. We stood there looking at each other until Sina walked to me and put her hand on my shoulder. "Sarah, we need to leave" She whispered. I broke my trance with Jareth and looked at Sina. "Then let's leave" I muttered. The two brothers turned and started walking with Sina and me at their heels. "Sarah, are you okay?" Sina asked in a low tone. "I'm fine, I just need a moment" I said trying not to sound angry. "She told me about my mother and it wasn't easy" I added as we emerged from the castle. The close wall opened up to a beautiful pathway of trees on either side.

As we walked down the path, elves wandered all around. The older ones reached into the trees to pull fruit down while the younger elves ran about wildly, laughing and playing happily with friends. Two of the children ran around my legs and then to climb a tree. I smiled at the little elf children and one small girl stood in front of me. She had bright white hair and a beautiful face of an elf. Her nose was small and her eyes were big enhancing her childish features. She wore a light pink dress with a thin brown belt around the middle causing the dress to bunch a little at the top and reveal her ankles at the bottom. The girl squirmed as she looked up to me and when I smiled, the girl smiled back and ran to me. She threw her arms around my legs and I bent down.

"Hello" I said to the girl. She smiled sheepishly and touched my cheek. "You're very different. Mama tells me stories of different creatures" She said. "What kind of stories?" I asked not aware of the three siblings watching me intently. "She tells me that you're beautiful and very brave. Mama told me the story of the Champion of the Labyrinth all the time! Have you heard that story?" She asked excitedly. "Yes, I think I've heard it once" I said laughing at the hopeful girl. "Mama was right! You are very nice" She whispered.

"Can I tell you a secret?" She whispered. I nodded and leaned towards the girl. "One day, I am going to run the labyrinth just like the champion. I will beat it like she did!" The girl looked around and leaned in. Do you know her?" She asked. "I think I've met her" I said to the little girl. She giggled with glee. "Can I meet her?" She asked hopefully returning to her normal loud high pitched tone. "I will see if I can find her and when I do, I'll bring her to you" The little girl gasped and clapped her hands multiple times. I smiled to her and she threw her arms around my neck. I hugged her back until she let go and took hold of my hand. "Come meet my mama!" She squealed. "Oh, I'm very sorry, but I have to leave but I remember my promise" I said. She nodded and ran off.

I watched the girl run away with her white hair whipping around in the breeze. I looked up into the bright sky then around my surroundings. Not only were the three siblings watching me, but the elves watched me with hints of smiles on their faces. Sina smiled like Hedian, a smile that lit their entire face. I looked to Jareth and he held his chin high with an amused smirk. I stood up from my kneeling position and brushed off the dust at the bottom of my dress.

Jareth coughed and a tug came to the back of my dress. I turned around and saw the girl. Her hand extended towards me with a piece of her hair. "This to remember, it signifies a promise" She said. The girl wrapped the silver hair around my finger and it turned into a silver band that wrapped around my finger twice with a small, bright blue, jewel in the middle. "What does the blue mean?" I asked. "It's the color of my eyes silly, to remember who you've made the promise to!" She said giggling. I looked into her eyes and sure enough, they were the color of vibrant, bright blue. "You wear it until you return and fulfill your promise" She said. "I will return with this precious reminder as soon as I can" I said to the girl, holding my hand to my chest to show my acceptance of the gift. The girl bowed her head and ran off with children that were running by.

I stood up once again and walked to Sina. She was talking with one of the elves. The older male elf looked down and me and smiled. "The elves have accepted you. I will warn you, that ring is sacred to the people here. Do not break its significance" He said keeping completely still. "I will return as long as my heart still beats" I said to the man and his bright blue eyes squinted as his lips turned up in a smile. That must be her father I thought. Sina nodded at the man and put her arm through mine. "That was simply wonderful" She said in adoration. "He was one of the high elves, just below me" She said squeezing me arm before letting go. "You responded wonderfully. If I'm not overstepping, I believe you will make an incredible mother someday" She said looking forwards.