Fallen City

I awoke to the bright sun beaming down onto my eyes and sand in my shirt. My eyes squinted open and I took in my surroundings. I was on the ground that looked like a desert under a tree with dead leaves. Large rocks and bushes were all over and figures were sitting around me. The air was hot and thick causing me to sweat.

I blinked my eyes multiple times when one of the tiny figures approached me. I gasped and sat up. I pushed myself away from the tree I was leaning on and away from the goblin. Its distorted face came closer and closer to mine. Its tiny body climbed over my legs and up a rock to get eye level with me. “No…” I said trying to shake my head to wake up from the dream. “This isn’t happening” I said to no one.

“And what do you suppose is happening” A voice said across from me. I jerked my head in the voices direction. My eyes went from the boots to the tight pants, leather armored jacket, to his long blond hair. He hadn’t changed in the slightest. “Jareth” I hissed narrowing my eyes. He was sitting on a large rock with one leg hanging down and the other propped on the rock. He twirled three crystals in his hand keeping his eyes focused as if when he broke his stare from the crystals he lost.

“Take me back, no words were said and I already won” I said in shaky voice. “Oh you have, have you?” He smirked at his crystals. “Yes, now send me back” I said with more force. “Are you sure you want to go back? From what I saw you looked pretty unhappy” He said in a mocking tone. “Jareth unless you would like to tell me something important I suggest you send me back. You have never had power over me.” “On the contrary, I do have power over you” He said chuckling. I sat in silence trying to figure what hold he had on me. “Every person has power over others. Whether it is in their voice, looks, or strength” He said breaking his trance with the crystals to look at me.

“Like it or not princess, I do have power over you, quite a bit actually” He smiled a wicked smile. I stood and he walked towards me. “I may not have your brother with me but I have something with so much more importance that holds you here” He said looking right into my eyes. “Why do you need me here?” I asked irritably. “You have something Sarah, something of mine and I intend to reclaim it” He said circling me.

“I am not in your castle” I noticed. “Your observation skills are lacking” He said looking around him. “Why am I out here?” I asked. “Unfortunately my kingdom has taken sick. After you left, my kingdom was poisoned, my castle destroyed. An evil ruler sits upon a shattered thrown draining the kingdom of everything it has. He stole my subjects and turned them into slaves. I tried to fight back but I was missing something. My most powerful crystal was taken from me. Taken from a girl before you but you knew her well. Yes, she came for the same reason you did. But I was a young ruler the age of yourself the first time you came to my labyrinth.

“She called on me to take her brother and I took him. She completed my Labyrinth and I was enthralled. I offered her a crystal but soon found she had replaced that crystal with me most powerful crystal. She took the crystal and left her brother. I had looked for her since then holding back my anger for her life. One day I was called on and when I replied the girl looked just like the last who stole my crystal. Like her mother, she completed the labyrinth, but she was different. This girl was strong and stubborn. When she defeated me she chose to save her brother and not fall under my rule. You my princess have eluded me twice. I am not person to tamper with”

I was backed up to a tree; the king’s hand was resting on the tree above my head and leaned his head down to look into my eyes. “My mother beat your Labyrinth?” I asked. “Indeed, but she was weak and fell under my power” He smiled. “But she took your crystal. And you need me” I said. “Give me my crystal back I will send you back” He said. “How will I be able to believe you?” I asked. “You will just have to trust me” He said smirking. “I am your only chance” He said turning around and messing with one of his crystals. “I do not have her crystal” I said. “You will find it” He said.