Who I've Become

It felt like my breath was stolen from me as I shook fiercely. "She's rejecting the transfer" I worried voice said above me. My arms wrapped around one of the arms encircling me and I coughed continuously and shook vigorously. My head rolled back and in a panic, I met Jareth eyes above me. His chillingly cool face looked right into mine. My eyes pleaded with him and he took me by the shoulders and made me lay flat. "Breathe" He said when I started to hyperventilate. He put his hand on my stomach and pressed down then released showing me when to breathe in and out. Once I gained control of my breathing, I closed my eyes and took multiple deep breaths.

               Everything came flashing back to me then, and I started to freak out. "Night crawlers, the flyer, family, the war, the girl.... Where's the girl!" I muttered over and over. I tried to sit back up but two different hands held me down. "What girl?" A deep voice said beside me and I    froze. My head turned to look at the flyer above me. A red haze moved over my eyes and hatred bubbled up in me. "You tried to kill me" I hissed. "I killed your human yes" He said. "Jareth, it's like her body was trying to change, but something was holding her back" The flyer said leaning towards me. "Do you think it was the binds on her wrists?" Jareth asked. "It is a very good possibility" The flyer nodded.

               "How could I change and die? Where did the girl go?" I asked sharply. The flyer leaned against the broken wall across from me and I looked around the room I was in. Dark crumbling stone supported the room. A large hole in the wall behind my head looked out over the rift. Above me, the ceiling held small, scattered holes. A poke on my leg made me look down. Glowing, golden flowers outlined my body up to my head. Then I felt another flower stem behind my ear. Instead of wearing the dress I was wearing just moments ago, I was in my war outfit.

                "What is going on" I asked scared. Jareth looked down at me and nodded towards the flyer. "To counter Kilton, you would need to have strength. The strength you needed was beyond the ability of a human. Jareth was hesitant to put you through the process of changing. When I found you Jareth didn't recognize me. I am Edoneon, heir to the Rift. Even though Jareth was unsure I stepped in and took you to my rift. The rift is the only place where you could become stronger.

               "When the poison of the Night Crawler is injected into a regular creatures blood, it kills them, but with a human it does something very different, it changes you. The poison changes you into a stronger creature. To get you to change, you must be induced into a deep sleep that hides your mind from your body. When you were successfully in a coma like state, your body began to die and break down. While your mind was elsewhere, your body rebuilt itself and only when you were ready, Jareth reached through your dream and drew you out. The only thing we didn't suspect is your body rejecting the entire change. It seems you are in a dangerous middle between human... and...fae" Edoneon leaned closer to my eyes and face before smiling. "Congrats, your desire was to be fae" He added.

               "Congrats? You've stripped me of the only thing keeping me in reality" I said breathlessly and dripping in anger. "Reality? Enlighten me, what is reality? Does it even exist?" Jareth asked with a raised eyebrow. "Of course it does! Everyone has their own reality" I said trying to sit up again but Jareth pushed my shoulder down. "Not yet Sarah, you're still weak. Reality doesn't exist here. Reality is a myth just like your human self" Jareth said. "But what about when I go back? Am I going back?" I asked. "That depends, last time you came here you escaped at such a small deal. This time is very different, that crystal around your neck makes you a very fragile being. You may be mostly human but within your blood is the magic of that crystal. You're a dream Sarah" Edoneon said. "Are you saying I'm not real?" I asked confused. "You are what you allow yourself to be" He replied and reached his hand to me.