Last Breath

The three of us stood silently behind the cover of the trees. The sky was dark with the thick black clouds of smoke from fires burning brilliantly over the fields. New found humidity in the air caused beads of sweat to appear on my forehead as I looked out onto the field. Creatures fought relentlessly until they fell. I watched each intricate creature move uniquely to their fighting style. The High King's army was fighting in the northern direction. I looked to their destination and saw Kilton's castle. The world grew darker as you got closer to his castle. My gaze moved to the labyrinth surrounding the castle and I gasped. The entire labyrinth was a maze of rubble. Roots triple the size Jareth and I fought squeezed the walls and they crumbled in boulders.

                Even though I was shocked, I was able to breathe easier and for some reason, I got the feeling of determination mixed with anger. Kilton might have destroyed some old rocks, but those rocks were a memory to me. Without trying, Kilton had made me hate him all the more. I twirled the hilt of my sword in my hand and looked for the best place to sneak into the battle where I was needed most. I needed to make it to the castle. Locating a creature in need of help, I took a step but a hand pulled harshly at my chainmail. I turned to stare Jareth in the eyes and he shoved me back.

               "What was that?" I asked frustrated. "You're not to go to war" Jareth reprimanded. "They need us" I said. "I can't just let them die when I know I could help" I added. Jareth ducked to the ground and the flyer ducked to. "Your kind heart makes you weak" The flyer grumbled. "Maybe, but I will be doing something instead of sitting on my butt watching their demise" I hissed back. I stood abruptly behind a tree and looked furiously at the two on the ground. "Stay here if you must" I said as a wisp of my hair fell into my face.

               Jareth stood and forced my back to a tree. "I refuse to let you go into that war" He snarled. "Why not?" I said pushing him back. "The High King wants you in Kilton's castle alive" He said. "When did you start obeying others rules?" I asked taking another threatening step towards him. "When it gets my kingdom back, you know little when it comes to getting what you want" He muttered. "Oh? And how well did you do the last time I was here in the matter of getting what you wanted?" I fumed. Jareth's hands shot out and wrapped around my arms just above the elbow. He shoved me backwards again and glared into my eyes. "I could do anything I wanted to and you would have no say" Jareth said tightening his hold to the point of pain.

                My eyes flashed and suddenly I could see my mother again in the hospital room. She was warning me about the bad man who wanted to turn me bad and make me his slave. Jareth's eyes grew large and I shoved him back. He stumbled a couple steps before recovering, but by that point my sword was pointed at his throat. "Don't take another step" I grounded out. "What did I just see?" Jareth asked. I kept my arm steady and my stance firm. "Stay away" I said with slight fear. "You're scared of me" Jareth smirked. "Do you really think that warning your mother gave you was directed towards me?" He asked contemplating the thought himself. He brought his finger to his chin with a wicked grin. "I do like the sound of that" He admitted.

               "Sarah, let's be rational for a moment" Jareth started. "If I were this 'bad person', would I have helped you thus far?" He asked. "You have a very twisted way of showing kindness disguised as manipulation" I argued. "Probably, but if I wanted you bad or as my slave, wouldn't you already be under my control? You said it yourself, I have no power over you" Jareth said walking to behind another tree. "Timing is everything. You wanted me to get your title back before you tried anything." Jareth laughed. "My girl, if I wanted you for myself you would already be mine. Put the sword down, we need to get moving" Jareth said.

               "No, stop messing with my head Jareth. This ends here. I need to know the truth and why could you see what I saw?" I asked. "Truthfully? I don't know how I saw it. Am I the bad one? No" He said. "And how do I believe you?" I asked disgusted. "I guess you're just going to have to put some faith in me. It's either me or Kilton" Jareth shrugged. My eyes narrowed when I heard Kilton's name and Jareth perked. "So you do hate him. Enlighten me Sarah, who do you think is the enemy here?" He asked. When I didn't answer he huffed. "Well, since we have a common goal of destroying Kilton first, why don't we take him out first" He said.