With You

I was dancing on clouds and the wind danced along with me to the silent music that was everywhere and nowhere. My mind raced so fast it was like I wasn't thinking at all. The clouds began to rise like stairs. My footsteps grew light as I ran up them. The air was light allowing me to almost float. My arms rose above my head as I danced. The internal beat began to darken and my movements sharpened.

I spun on the top stair that extended to air. I twirled towards the edge and my defiance grew. In rebellion of everything, I stepped off the edge and expectantly, the atmosphere caught me. I smiled evilly at the edge that begged me to return, but I turned away again. The air took me up and away. The feeling of undisciplined wrong felt good. The wrong began to feel right.

Suddenly, the air turned from lighthearted to terror. I stopped dancing to look around. I had strayed from the edge and its calls to me were mere whispers. Everything was so silent. The softness of the air began to thin and I beginning to sink. Panic filled me as I looked down to see dark seeping through the clouds. The clouds turned from a beautiful white, to a sickly grey, and finally a poisonous black. Hints of the poisonous fog rose up and tightened around my throat to suffocate me.

I turned and ran towards the edge that had not darkened. My foothold was slipping and I fell closer to the poison with every step. I cried out for help but no one was there. I was just feet from the edge when my ability to walk on the air vanished. I fell out of the air after propelling myself forward in hopes of grabbing hold of the edge. The catch jarred my body and I cried out in fear. I tried to pull myself up as i dangled, but the clouds were breaking.

The fog from the floor of clouds floated up towards me and I started to do whatever I could to get away. My eyes were cast down and two eyes were looking up at me. The eyes gained a face and I screamed. The fog became arms and he reached up to me and started pulling my body. I fought as hard as I could, but the force was too much. Someone stood above me and I looked helplessly into their face. They reached down and then I saw it... was me. Whose body was I in? Shortly after the realization, I was ripped from the edge, but not before I tore a piece of the white cloud. I clutched it to my chest as I fell with my back facing the ground. The darkness wrapped its fowl hands around me and pulled me through the clouds.

"Get up! Get up! Get up!" My eyes shot open and I took in a deep breath as I sat up swiftly. My sweaty face jerked around trying to find where I was. Lyciana fell beside me and shook my shoulders. "Today is the day!" She yelled. I took deep breaths to calm my racing heart and my eyes moved to where Sina stood by my bed with a grin on her face. "Alright Lyciana, that's enough. Sarah needs to get ready" Sina said pulling the little girl away from me.

"What time is it?" I asked looking out the window. "It is four hours until your wedding. We need to get ready!" Sina said pulling out my dress and setting up the makeup table. "Are you ready?" Sina asked me. I rolled out of the bed and walked a few steps before sitting on the end of the bed with an overwhelming sadness.

"What's wrong? Second thoughts" Sina asked nervously. "No, it's just, my family won't be here. I've dreamed of this day for so long and every single picture in my head included my father walking me down the aisle and my stepmother sitting front row with tears in her eyes trying to hold Toby still" I admitted looking at my hands in my lap. "What if I spilled a secret to you right now" She said innocently. I looked up to her and she walked to the door and opened it dramatically revealing my stepmother and little Toby. I stared in disbelief.

"But... they never knew about...how?" I asked looking to my smiling stepmother. Toby rushed in the room dressed in a little suit and acting like he was a plane. Lyciana starred at Toby like he was crazy, but ended up playing along with him even though she had no idea what a plane is. "I brought them here. I used a crystal to manipulate their minds. They know you're getting married, but their minds don't connect that it's to a king in the Underground. They will remember everything about this day, except the part about it being here and any creature they will see. They will see the creature but their minds will make it look like a human. I already made sure that your parents knew that you were dating someone for a while, and your dad approved. I've got you covered" Sina said as I threw my arms around her, now crying.