Into the War

A hand connected with my shoulder and I looked to Edoneon. "Choose to fight with us or turn and run. Either is fine, but from the stories I've heard, the champion of the Labyrinth does not give up" He said giving me a tight lipped smile. "Thanks for the pep talk" I half mocked. "It wasn't. That was a warning" He said before lifting into the sky and flying to the war with one of his infamous battle cries. I watched him from behind a tree as he swooped down from the sky towards an enemy before he disappeared in the war and blended with other flyers.

               My eyes turned from Edoneon to the Jareth. His muscular back flexed as he lifted a sword and swung it towards a dark goblin. My heart thundered as I took in the sight of the monstrous dark goblins. It was a miracle the High Kingdom had lasted this long. The dark goblins fell shy of the overwhelming new creature that met my eyes. I gasped as they ran with power over the battle field. Their bodies were like a Warrior's body, muscular and tall, but their torn clothing revealed a black fur from the small of their backs trailing up their spin to their neck. The hair on their heads were pulled back in long dreads. Their eyebrows moved from their hairline to just before the nose on each side. They carried jagged swords that made me shiver just at the thought of what happens when they swing the intimidating weapon.

               As I skimmed over the armies, I saw Jareth's old castle and my anger flared. Suddenly, a plan hatched in my mind and I smiled. It was perfect. I knew by carrying out the plan I would be risking my life and all the relationships I had made along the way, but it was worth it. I could bare no more bloodshed. If I were to finish the plan I would need to betray everyone including myself. My smirk faltered and I closed my eyes for a moment to collect myself before reopening them.

               I moved out from behind the safety of the tree and walked into battle with my plan playing on repeat in my head. My sword at its ready, I ran towards a helpless Warrior who had been cut. She looked up in horror as the dark warrior creature brought its sword down. Just in time, I jumped in front of the blade and blocked his advance. The creature's twisted face snickered at me and he swung again. My body swayed out of the way and I moved around him with small attacks here and there. The beast watched me closely as I closed in. He tried to get my weapon away, but I was too fast. My sword crashed into him and with a moan the beast crumbled to the ground. I turned to the Warrior and helped her stand. She nodded at me before immersing herself in the battle again.

               Clashes of metal and cries of pain and victory assaulted my ears. I turned in a slow circle taking in the horrific view of falling creatures all around me. Blood covered the ground and unclaimed bodies were left for nothing. My stomach heaved and I fought to keep myself calm. Everything moved in slow motion as the seriousness of the situation caught up with me. I was thrust into the dead center of the battle. I swung my sword in calculated motions against any attacker who came at me. The rigorous fighting exhausted my still awkward body. Goblin after goblin, and dark warrior after dark warrior, I made my way towards the Goblin City like the rest of the High Kingdom's army. I had lost sight of everyone I knew including Jareth. I was by myself fighting for a kingdom that was trying to hold itself together.

                Suddenly, a dark warrior jumped in front of me and I held up my sword just in time to keep him away. He threw his arm at me and I knew I had to act quickly for my plan. I turned around fighting the dark creature and after a while, I had the creature on the ground with my sword above his heartless chest. "What are you waiting for?" He asked, spitting on my shoe. I looked down at the creature in disgust and hit him on the head knocking him to the ground. The creature looked up at me in a daze from the force and I shook my head ever so slightly at him. The creature tried to reach for a sword but I had already kicked it away and given him a short nod before turning and disappearing from his sight into the mass of people. I may have lost the dark creature's line of sight, but I could still feel one confused and angry gaze drilling into my back.