When Dreams Die

"Wait!" I screamed. Kilton's blade halted right above Jareth's neck. Kilton looked at me with fire in his eyes. He was enjoying this. Suddenly he looked to Jareth and Jareth closed his eyes tight. "No, look at her" Kilton said in a teasing voice. With much struggle, Jareth looked up at me. "Kilton, stop this. What will it take for you to stop?" I cried defeated. Jareth let his head fall. "Just kill me already" He muttered. It felt like all the breath in me left.

               "You heard him. He wants to die. But, if you refuse, you must take me for a husband and be a good submissive and loyal wife. Take my offer now and I'll let Jareth remember you from when you ran the labyrinth. It'll be like you never came back. The image of you I'm allowing him to see will be erased from his memory forever" Kilton explained. My mind raced as I racked my brain for a way out.

               "Tell me, I am your dream right?" I asked buying time. "You are mine," he said glaring at Jareth and giving him a kick in the side. "How do you create a dream and put it into reality?" I asked. "You are stalling" He said raising the sword again. "No, Kilton tell me now or I will never submit to you ever again. I will fight with ever fiber in my body. I will agree to your terms if I get answers" I said putting my foot down.

               "You promise to agree if I answer this question?" He asked slightly taken back. "Two questions, that one and one more after you answer my first one" I said nodding.

               "To create the dream, I have to put it through a source. Your mother wanted you so I used my power to give her a crystal that would give her a child. I used the most powerful crystal that your mother stole from him and used my power to create the image of her dream. The only catch was that someday the daughter would be bound to me. You have come here and are in my bind, therefore, you are mine now" He said with a wicked smile as my face dropped.

               "What-" "Nope, you've asked your two questions already" Kilton interrupted. "No, I said the previous one and another" I said. "Well, you asked two questions. It was an admirable attempt to get answers. Just to make sure you uphold you end of the deal..." Kilton said blowing on the air in my direction. I looked at him like he was crazy, but the wind reached me and my hair blew around from the wind. The chain on my wrist and around my neck disappeared with the wind.

               Kilton moved his finger for me to come to him and I moved forwards unable to do anything else. He bent down and kissed my cheek before taking my hand. I stared up at him and he smirked. In a flash, Jareth was on his feet and looking directly into my eyes. He bit his lip angrily. I turned my head to the side trying to remember our past but my mind was being erased. I still had a few feelings connected with him good and bad. Kilton pushed me to the side and unsheathed his sword. In one fluid motion, he pushed the sword through Jareth and his body fell. "No!" I screamed. My screech shook the room and I crashed to my knees.

               Kilton's head snapped in my direction and he waved a crystal in front of my face. Suddenly I didn't know why I was crying. "There, there. We can have another" Kilton spoke kneeling beside me. I looked up into his face in confusion. "It is indeed very hard to lose a child" Kilton said rubbing my back. I lost a child? "I erased your memory of our child to save your tears. I couldn't bare your heartbreak" He said. A memory came then and I saw a lifeless baby. Kilton was holding me in a large bed. It looked like I just gave birth and found out I had lost the child.

               "What am I going to do?" I asked. "You will bare another child. Worry not, we can conceive whenever you feel up to it" He said and I threw my arms around him, crying into his neck. "What if we can't?" I asked "I can't bare this sadness again" I cried. The feeling of loss overwhelmed me. "I know... I understand you don't like the use of crystals, but I have one more. If we use it tonight, we are ensured to have a child" He said rubbing my hair. "How long do we have?" I choked.  "The crystal will die after tonight" He murmured.